Notices
Outdoor Sports General discussion forum for those of you interested in outdoor sports such as mountain biking, kayaking, snowboarding, skiing, water skiing, ATV's etc.

Who here scuba dives?

Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone has a preference. I took my Open Water 1, Advanced and Dive Master through NAUI. My Nitrox and Tech Nitrox were through IANTD. My NAUI instructor (retired SEAL) put us through the wringer for training - blackout drills, equipment failure, overhead environments introduction. He also offered through Full Cave, but that wasn't my thing.

Have fun. All the agencies are good.

Last bit of advice. Get DAN insurance.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

What does the DAN insurance do?
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Traditional health insurance usually does not cover hyperbaric treatments, since the injury is related to a high-risk activity. If you take a Decompression Sickness (DCS) hit, you will need a chamber treatment ASAP. In that scenario, you may find yourself on a couple helicopters (from the boat to the hospital; from the local hospital to hospital with chamber) to ultimately "enjoy" a Cycle #6 ride in the chamber.... My buddies total transportation and treatment ran approximately $100,000 after everything tallied up. His personal insurance would have left him HIGH and DRY. DAN picked up the bill completely.

Besides the medical and transportation coverage, they also offer trip insurance in case of loss due to weather, injury, etc. It's really a no-brainer to pick up the insurance.

They used to offer 2 levels of insurance. I always took the best protection available to ensure coverage for my "beyond sport-diving limits" (technical depths with mandatory deco stops at varying levels). I had to use the insurance once and saved me some headache and a lot of expense. It's cheap and a mandatory item to do any diving.

Don't think about it. Just enroll when you start your diving lessons.

It mau be the cheapest piece of "gear" you buy, but could be the most important when you need it!

Jeff

EDIT: DAN = Divers Alert Network
Old 08-20-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am a PADI Divemaster so if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I will try to answer the question.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKXRANGER
I am a PADI Divemaster so if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I will try to answer the question.
why not post it here for us to read? Might answer others questions.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeffncs
I hung it up probably 5 years ago. At that point, I was diving every weekend (sometimes twice per weekend), many dives over 150'. I just walked away from it for personal reasons and started whitewater kayaking. Traded one high risk for another one...

I still miss it to this day.

Buy the best gear you can afford. Otherwise, you'll just be replacing it shortly.

Have fun.
Jeff

I don't see diving as "high risk"... Does your personal reason as to do with a high risk diving situation you've been in ???

If you don't dive over your limits, diving should be fun and safe...

To answer to this tread's question:
I'm a PADI rescue diver. I have over 200 dives and I also did my NITROX course.
I'm leaving for Cabo San Lucas in 2 weeks... I hope too see some Mantas !!! =)
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default scuba divers anyone?

did some diving and a little night dive in the Puget Sound tonight took some cool pictures. Any other divers out there?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	35964   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	35965   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	35966   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	35967   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	35968  

Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Dive the FLorida keys, and west coast. Also have diven the caverns in central florida. It has, I admit, been a while since my last dive.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Location: Christiana, Tennessee, United States, United States

I'm a rescue and recovery diver for the ambulance service here in middle TN. With I had some pics to share but 99% of my dives are black water dives with zero visability. and the other 1% I don't think you would want to see the pics of what we dive for.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I've only been once, in Bermuda. It was one of the most fun things I have ever done and want very much to do it again someday.
I hear that other than the cold water, Puget Sound has great diving, especially around the Tacoma Narrows.

Quick Reply: Who here scuba dives?