Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best headlight replacement?

Old 06-28-2018, 06:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best headlight replacement?

searched but nothing.... Just want to know the best plug in play headlight replacement or even an upgraded bulb. Any comments are appreciated.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do not go with the Sylvania Ultra's- I bought them and there was hardly any change over the stock bulb. For the money you'll put into bulbs over the life of the jeep ($60/pr) and the little light that they give off, it isn't worth the headache.....in my opinion.

Some folks like the higher output of the Delta lights or similar headlights with new glass housings, others venture into the LED side of things. I went LED (trucklite) and haven't looked back. The price is more than replacing just a bulb but it is a lifetime solution.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Which model. Looks like none are plug n play.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

JW Speaker without a question. We installed a set of JW Speaker back in 2013, before they integrated a capacitor to even out the PWM. We also chose to not add a capacitor or wiring harness of our own. In 2016, after what must have been millions of PWM power cycles (we run the lights day and night), one of the LEDs started to flicker and then finally failed.

This is why we are sold on JWS: instead of sending us an identical replacement, JWS decided they should send us TWO matching LEDs. Further, they decided to send us the upgraded model that has built-in capacitors. Further, since the cost of the newer units was less than what I paid for my older units, they sent me a REFUND CHECK for the price difference. 100% serious. Customer for life.

Better light output and patterns vs. anyone else, and unrivaled product support.

Last edited by OnBelay; 06-29-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Agree. Bulbs will not make a difference at all. They change the color of light cast out, but the housing is the issue. There are a ton of things that are plug and play these days. Some people like cheap ebay options, some people just go with JW Speaker or TruckLite. Since you're in PA, and you have winters to deal with, I'd suggest considering the Trucklite with the heated element in the lens. Just my

...Or the Deltas like Karl mentioned above.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Headlight Revolutions has several YouTube videos comparing the top performers. Very interesting, the actual differences between brands. You will be surprised. They will show and tell the pros and cons of each. Good Luck
Old 06-28-2018, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Also get the Euro-spec horizontal adjusting screws. Good chance you'll have to align the lights horizontally.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OnBelay
Also get the Euro-spec horizontal adjusting screws. Good chance you'll have to align the lights horizontally.

This! You can get them for like $5 a piece from Quadratec. Now putting them IN is a pain in the rear. Whoever came up with the design is a sadist.

Personally I went the other route and did an upgraded set of conventional lenses (Cibie 82440 E-Code), a H13 to H4 bulb adapter harness from KC (6307) and halogen bulbs (Philips X-Treme Vision +130%). I think my total cost was just shy of $150. I'd put these up against any set of LED lights that are out there, and they'll melt snow and ice accumulation in the winter.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Skippman
This! You can get them for like $5 a piece from Quadratec. Now putting them IN is a pain in the rear. Whoever came up with the design is a sadist.

Personally I went the other route and did an upgraded set of conventional lenses (Cibie 82440 E-Code), a H13 to H4 bulb adapter harness from KC (6307) and halogen bulbs (Philips X-Treme Vision +130%). I think my total cost was just shy of $150. I'd put these up against any set of LED lights that are out there, and they'll melt snow and ice accumulation in the winter.
Yeah the *genuine* Cibie e-codes are tough to beat. Wonderful light pattern, and Hilldweller raves about them. That was our original plan for a few years, but the Osram (and other) high ouput bulbs that we wanted don't do well with shock & vibration over the long term. People reported replacing them every 6-9 months. That was the deciding factor for us going LED. It will be a long time before LED can supplant HID and high power halogens with great reflectors (e.g. Cibie).
Old 06-29-2018, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

I went with these https://www.allensoffroad.com/LED-Li...ProComp-76402P
and am very happy and they were a simple install - 20 mins. He runs them on sale sporadically.
JW's are top of the line but very pricey too and I had to spend the diff on other upgrades. I also updated the fogs to led at the same time.......I was shocked at how bad the OEM lights are after that upgrade.

Quick Reply: Best headlight replacement?