Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations on Lift

Old 09-20-2018, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations on Lift

I'm about to start building my jeep and need some recommendations. I've got a 2015 JK Unlimited Rubicon, I want a really good on road ride, as well as off road. Not doing anything Super crazy but I want a very capable machine. leaning towards a Full Traction 6" Long Arm Kit with Fox 2.5 Shocks. Want to put 37" tires under it too. Is this a good combo or would you recommend something else? I've seen that some guys are doing a 4.5" Long Arm with 37's too. Lets hear opinions.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Howdy,

So you are already into 'Super Crazy' if you're considering a 6" long arm. Especially since you only want to run 37s. That can be accomplished with a 2.5-3.5" lift in most cases.

Perhaps read this and then reconsider (credit to Dirtman).... https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 09-20-2018, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

<big sigh> you've pretty much started to describe "super crazy". as jedg advised, read through the link, consider 2.5-3.5", and know that when you see Dirtman tell you be ready to sink $10k in to a 3.5" lift with 37s, it's not crazy, so you really need to be honest with yourself about how much you're willing to sink in to the jeep just to be functional.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Four inch lift, at most, with 37" tires. Very few people do six inch on JKs. I'm running 4" coils with 40s.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:44 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Circling back around on this today with hopefully a little more constructive commentary.

Do you ever, EVER, see yourself wanting to go 40s? Are you going to get out there with your 37s and then start to have 40 envy? If so, do yourself a favor and just do complete axle upgrades right from the start. By upgrades, I don’t mean build up rubi axles, I mean just go buy real aftermarket, full width axles that are properly geared and be done. Building up a D44 is costly, and oft times not worthwhile as opposed to selling them and buying aftermarket. It can be done, but at the end of the day you still end up with significant weaknesses. I'm in that built D44 camp, so that's where my commentary comes from. If you don't plan on wheelin hard, maybe you won't run in to some of the same issues.

If we remove the “super crazy” idea out of your OP, what I think you’re really looking for is a well build 3.5” lift with 37s, which, if done correctly, is still going to be nice on the pavement, and do 95% of what you want to do off road. Don't get caught up in the numbers thinking 3.5 is small. 3.5" is an aggressive build, both in looks and what it entails. You are ALWAYS going to find something you cannot do regardless of build. You can build with D60s and 40’s…..you’d still find things that you can’t do. So, be sensible, if you know D60s aren’t in your future, then you need to know the limitations of a D44 when out on the obstacles. If you're idea of off roading is back fire roads, then in general 37s is overkill.

So, if you’re looking at a 3.5” lift and 37s here you go –
- Start with a quality manufacturer (ie, not Rubicon Express, Rough Country, Skyjacker, etc)
- Buy a COMPLETE kit…..brake lines, bump stops, full control arms, the whole 9-yards…etc
- Replace all steering components (consider high steer knuckles (or at least a high steer kit), DL, TR, Rare Parts BJs)
- Buy properly BS wheels
- If you’re sticking with Rubi axle, C gussets at the minimum, possibly truss, and regear it…..
- you’ll want to relocate shock mounts (if you add gussets to a D44, you can’t outboard new shock mounts enough without using brackets)
- may as well replace control arm mounts (obviously add diff covers)
- If you’re going to offroad it hard, replace the lockers with ARBs before the rubi lockers just die on you (better yet, buy aftermarket axles)
- Add a big brake kit of some sort
- You might consider replacing steering box or going hydro depending on how you wheel
- Replace drive shafts
- Consider relocating exhaust
- Add some skids (possibly relocate evap)
- If you’re gonna wheel, consider armor, at the very lease rocker armor and real sliders
- You’re probably gonna want bumpers, fenders, inner fender liners, lights, etc…..all that pretty stuff
- You’ll need some real spare tire carrier, which may or may not be part of rear bumper
- Get comfy cutting some pinch seam

Honestly, I know I’m missing something in the list cuz there is just so much to address. On top of that, expect those tires to wear components down faster.

I don't claim to have the biggest baddest jeep out there by any means, but here is what 3.5" with 37s looks like -

I'm fenderless, so you have to imagine some fenders sticking out.....but still, the space is the same. I get dang near full 3.5" stated lift out of my springs. I can't even fathom having another 2-3" of dead space in those wheel wells. It would look quite silly IMO.

Last edited by resharp001; 09-21-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't't think you guys took the op what he wanted to here.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on Lift