Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Four Corners Area Trail Links

Old 01-30-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Corners Area Trail Links

Needless to say, we are blessed with some of the best off-roading terrain in the country, and even the world. This thread is here for the purpose of posting links to all legal off-roading areas in the Four Corners region. If you have a favorite spot(s), or favorite website(s) with trails listings that you want to share with others, please post the info in a reply, and I will update this post with all info. If you have GPS coordinates for the trails head and highlight spots, that would be great too, but not necessary.

A note about legality: No one knows better than us how many land use issues there are in our region. Please make sure that all links posted are 100% legal BEFORE they are submitted. If it is a trail that crosses private property, please make sure that the public posting of this trail has been approved by the land owner.
Treading on ONLY legal trails is our best weapon to keep our trails open. If you have any questions regarding this policy, or what is legal, please don't hesitate to send me a private message.

ARIZONA

Montana Mountain Trail (Near Superior, AZ) See post #2 for info
Soldier Pass Road (Sedona, AZ) See post #2 for info

COLORADO

Rampart Range (See post #8, and "general links")
Old Stage Road (See post #8 and "general links")
Mosquito Pass (See post #8 and "general links")
Tin Cup Pass (See post #8 and "general links")
Rampart Range (See post #9)
Old stage Road (See post #9)
Baldwin Gulch (See post #10)

NEW MEXICO
Cibola National Forest (see post #12 &13 for a map link)

UTAH

Moab area trails

GENERAL TRAIL LINKS

Trail Damage.com
4x4trails.net
http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreat...v_trails.shtml

Last edited by Gokracer1; 06-24-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 PM
JK Junkie

I'll ge things started. I've only done a few recently, so I'll bring those up

Soldier Pass Road (Sedona, AZ)
Very short trail, but with great rewards for the views of the Sedona Red Rocks. I reccomend taking the short side road to the Seven Sacred Ponds. There is also a short trail to the Devils kitchen. this trail is more challenging. I was unwilling to attempt it when I went as it was raining creating some good slick rock and it was the first trail I'd taken the new JK on, so was not familier with what it could and could not do just yet. Getting there is a bit of a challenge as you have to go through a community to get to the trailhead. Take 89A to Soldier Pass Road (1.2 miles west of 179). Go to Rim Shadows drive and follow the signs for Soldier pass Trail. The trail begins at teh back of the parking lot.

Montana Mountain Trail (Near Superior, AZ)
For the most part this is an easy trail that will not require four wheel drive, but I like it due to it's length and scenery. If you're looking for a day out on the trail but don't want anything too difficult, this might be a good one for you. The most challenging spots are once you get up intot he mountain, the trail is narrow and only wide enough for 1 vehicle. if you encounter another, someone will need to back up to a spot where it's a little wider. This can be tricky as much of this section is shelf road. I found I needed to get up on the hill as much as possible to let others by. There was also ice when you are on the north side that can be quite slick. Trail can be found just off US60 on Queen Valley Road. Take the gravel road to the right and stay on FR 172. I reccomend having a map of this trail as the GPS does not seem to have this entire trail loaded.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for getting us rolling Scouter!

Once the weekend hits, I'm going to sit down and work on filling in some more gaps.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Junkie

I'll get some more posted as well. I'm hitting a trail this weekend and I'll document it and post information.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

hey goose good idea. no wonder your our leader.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

For websites, I like to visit http://www.traildamage.com/index.php and http://www.4x4trails.net/db_search.php?been_here=1 ... Both sites should let you search any state.

In Colorado, my favorite trails I visited last summer were Eagle Rock, Wheeler Lake, and Hayden Pass. You can look these trails up on the above websites for a location and description...

The best trail I have seen is Independence, which is 15 miles from my home. My JK is definitely not setup for it... Pic below...

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-06-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks Angryitch. I added a "General Links" catagory for any other favorite sites that folks have with trail info.

Keep'em coming!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Heck, I don't know where to begin with the ones I did last year...

Because I live in Colorado Springs, there are two I can hit from within city limits that are legal: Rampart Range and Old Stage Road. These two are great for a last minute afternoon ride, or test out new additions to the rig.
Rampart Range starts in Garden of the Gods and has many off-shoots for offroading- can stop at Woodland Park (for a short 2 hour ride) or all the way to Denver.

Two pictures of Rampart range
First 5 minutes, still in Garden of the Gods- but on Rampart Range

Almost an hour on Rampart Range

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old stage Road starts near Broadmoor and goes all the way to Cripple Creek. There are so many roads to go off and discover, it is ridiculus. In fact, there are creeks, caves (can't drive through), muddin', forests, and inclines to test yourself in. you can spend an evening or the whole weekend. This road has recently been opened to the public, so enjoy!

A picture from a trail off of Old Stage Road

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another one of my favorites from last year was Mosquito Pass near Breckenridge. this is the highest off-road trail in the U.S. There are 3 or 4 old rusted mines and some fun terrain through here. One summit view in particular provides a 360 view of snowcaps in many months.
And another one to note was Tin Cup pass (ends at Tin Cup town). This one has great views and a little ride through a creek or two. A great summit view can provide some nice photo ops. This trail starts in little town of St. Elmo.

This picture is after Tin Cup getting ready to hit the paved road.

As soon as I got my Jeep last year, I purchased the Colorado Off-road trail book. holy crap there are a lot. I can help with anyone needing info on trail by using this book. Like, what trails have good views, harder, how many are near this town, etc. I researched many of these books and ended up with this one. It provides GPS points if needed.

Last edited by Octane; 03-02-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

One of my favorite runs is Baldwin Gulch. You can find the road just west of the mt. princeton hot springs. I think its CO 162 from Nathrop to road FR#277(baldwin). You can almost summit Mt.Antero(14,269). The switchbacks are scary!! We usually camp up there just below tree line. I think its one of the most beautiful parts of the state.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Junkie

No one has added to his in a while, so I wanted to just get a post on here to maybe bring it back to life. I'll have a report on some local trails soon, but in the mean time, if you do a trail please put a report on here and I'll see if I can figure out how we can update the first post in Gooses absence

Quick Reply: Four Corners Area Trail Links