Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

towing jk behind rv

Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also tow mine behind the RV and have no problems. If I was to do it over again, as setting up my JK, I would run Cooltech wiring harness instead of taping into factory wiring. I run the US Gear braking system which is great, but costly.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM
JK Newbie

Are any of you towing a 2009 or 2010 Jeep. If so do you tow with the key in the ignition turned on to the ACC position. Does your steering wheel lock when you remove the key. This is the only reason I know of that you need to put the key in and turn it to the ACC position. I checked my 09 Jeep and the Steering column does not lock? I went to the Stealership and they did not even know that the columns on the 09 and 10 do not have column locks. But they could not tell me that you do not have to put the key in and turn it on. They said to call the 1-800 number and ask them. So I did and they were even less help. They had a service tech call me back and all she said was to check with the stealership. They build them and sell them and do not even know how the way they work. If any one else has any info that would help Please let me know. I am going back and press the stealership to try and get a answer as to WHY THE KEY NEED TO BE USED. Any one has a 09 or 10 try to turn your steering wheel without a key in place it is easier if you jack up the front end. Thanks

Last edited by rguarin; 02-27-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rguarin
Are any of you towing a 2009 or 2010 Jeep. If so do you tow with the key in the ignition turned on to the ACC position. Does your steering wheel lock when you remove the key. This is the only reason I know of that you need to put the key in and turn it to the ACC position. I checked my 09 Jeep and the Steering column does not lock? I went to the Stealership and they did not even know that the columns on the 09 and 10 do not have column locks. But they could not tell me that you do not have to put the key in and turn it on. They said to call the 1-800 number and ask them. So I did and they were even less help. They had a service tech call me back and all she said was to check with the stealership. They build them and sell them and do not even know how the way they work. If any one else has any info that would help Please let me know. I am going back and press the stealership to try and get a answer as to WHY THE KEY NEED TO BE USED. Any one has a 09 or 10 try to turn your steering wheel without a key in place it is easier if you jack up the front end. Thanks

Don't know about the 09 and 10, but my 08 will lock the wheel if (ignition) is off

The work around for this is to leave the key on ) and lift the IOD fuse so the ignition is off. (IOD ignition off draw fuse), also have a Blank key made so the bad guy's won't steel your JK, no chip in the key !

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 02-28-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my set up with a Roadmaster tow bar. I used the cooltech wire harness for the lights. I just switched from the brakepro (POS portable brake system that never worked right) to the brakemaster that works off of the airbrakes in the motorhome. Very easy to hook and unhook once you get used to it. I had the brackets on the bumper made by a local welding shop.

The towbar is not extended in the pic but it should give you the idea.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tow my unlimited on a 18' flat bed car hauler. Broken axles, suspension and steering parts, can make flat towing difficult. If you flat tow and use the jeep off road I highly recommend a car hauler. Broken jeeps just don't flat tow well behind motorhomes.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default flat towing. What do I need? Help?

I want to flat tow my JK behind my motorhome. I have the stock front bumper & would like to keep it! It looks like I need to get the Currie tow bar mounting plate & "A" frame tow bar. Are there any other options so that I can keep the stock bumper? Also, is there a kit or something so that I can use the JK's taillights for towing? A plug-in would be nice so that I don't have to splice into the stock wiring loom! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use the blue ox tow bar with an adapter that attaches to the ears on the shrockworks front bumper. That way nothing can be damaged from wheeling and prevent me from towing the jeep home. The ears are what the d-rings attach to.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

i use the blue ox tow bar as well...just got my new bumper today and installed today, tested it as well just behind my truck and it worked GREAT!!!!!, i will post pictures of it soon. i do have a video of the test tow, and pictures of the bumper. i will be towing my jk behind my rv this summer, behind my truck it was a little tuff because of the weight of the jeep when the steering wheel locked up, it cause the truck to slide forward.
hope all of this helps, i will post pictures later tonight.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks!

I went with the Currie tow bar plate and the bumper they sell. Also got the Cooltech wiring kit. Towed the JK behind my RV this last weekend & it went great! Very Happy!
Old 05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

just thought about this, when i tried to tow my jeep behind my truck, i needed to leave the key in and have the car in the on position. you can also disconnect the battery but the key still needs to be in due to the steering wheel lock. there is another thread about disengaging the locking steering wheel pin.
need to read up on how to do that my self.

Quick Reply: towing jk behind rv