Notices
Archived - Jeep XJ Cherokee & Grand Cherokees Discuss the Jeep XJ Cherokee and Grand Cherokee at our sister community. This includes all Jeep XJ's made between 1984-2001 and all Grand Cherokees made to this date.

Grand Cherokees and Cherokees

Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a '98 ZJ and my son runs a '96 XJ. They are both works in progress and modified (mine more so, hey, being middle aged has it's benifits). Both are very capabile rigs with the XJ having far better aftermarket support. I like the extra room in the Grands wheree as the XJs fall right between a Wrangler and a Grand in wheel base and internal room. Both are availible with the excellent 4.0L with the Grand also having an optional V-8. I have to admit to liking the XJ AW4 auto over the autos offered in the Grands, they seem to be more reliable in the long run. 5 speed self shifters are easier to find in the XJs as well, if that is an issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mtnzj.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	149324Click image for larger version

Name:	Moab-Fins.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	149323
Old 04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sucks to say but I'm in the same situation. When I bought my JK I could afford it. Now I'm hurting. I do have a 98 Grand Cherokee 5.9 as well. It has awesome horse power but it also has a 2" BB and worn out 32's and gets around 10mpg AND takes premium fuel. The hitch is that I own it out-right. I am having intermitent electrical gremlins with the back windows, reverse lights, and dash lights flickering. If I get rid of the JK then I'll have more money to fix the ZJ, but with gas over $4.00 a gallon I think I might have to sell them both. I have been looking at cherokees and for under $5000.00 there are a ton of them out there. I'll probably try to find one with roll up windows and minimal electrical crap.......Sorry for the rant

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokees and Cherokees