Notices
Armed Forces If you are serving our country by being a member of the Armed Forces and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members serving with you, this is the forum for you.

Taking doors off on post?

Old 04-18-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Taking doors off on post?

I'm in the Air Force, currenty stationed on an Army post. I've heard that I can't take my doors off on post. Anyone know the Army reg that states that I can't? I've looked at the AFI (Air Force Instruction) and can't find it. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

I never had an issue at Nellis either but you're saying you're on an Army base now. Best advice I'd say is call the cops and ask them. make sure you talk to someone higher up on the food chain and get his name. Getting pulled over and saying "Private Snuffy said it was cool" won't carry much clout.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Typically, if it's not covered specifically in a local instruction, the base will assimilate state traffic law, so in your case Georgia traffic law. If it'.s not ruled illegal under Georgia law and it's not covered by any local/post specific instruction, you're g2g.

The Joint Motor Vehicle Traffic Regulation (Army Regulation 190–5, or as we call it AFI 31-218) does not address driving on base/post without doors.

I drive without doors all the time on base...but I'm also the one that would be writting the ticket...haha
Old 04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Heh. Army guys can't type! Plead ignorance and hopefully they'll give you a warning the first time. . .
Just kidding. Heading downrange to work with the Army. Wouldn't trust anybody more to keep me alive.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am in the Army and people do it all the time so I don't think it's a law or at least not an enforced one.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never had a problem with doors on Ft. Hood. I'm sure there's a base directory you can look through to find either the MP station or where ever it is on base you pay tickets at.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Took the doors off today. Passed a couple cops and went through the gate once...no problems. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem with doors off on multiple Army and Air Force post. Who is telling you that you cant??
Old 04-29-2009, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
Who is telling you that you cant??
A guy I work with said he didn't think I could (he has an '08). I ran into an MP at the shoppette and he said I just needed a mirror. I asked one of the civilian gate guards and he confirmed it. I think I'm going to pick up a Harley mirror after work tomorrow.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

i lived on fort lewis washington and im in the army. i always take my doors off. no issues with the MP's. i go to school in november to become a MP. im a 13M right now . so in november i suppose ill really find out if its illegal.

Quick Reply: Taking doors off on post?