Notices
Armed Forces If you are serving our country by being a member of the Armed Forces and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members serving with you, this is the forum for you.

What I Like About The Air Force

Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForceMike

One thing to consider while you're trying to get in, keep your recruiter at arms length. Whether you're trying to enlist or commission. These days, the AF isn't looking to take too many people on board. But persistence is your friend in this matter. I was denied by about 6 different AF recruiters throughout my state while I was trying to join (had an issue on my record that will remain anonymous). But sure enough, with enough effort and unanswered phone calls, I got in. I'm 3 years in, so I'm sure it's not much different now than it was when I went through MEPS and BMT. It's harder getting past your recruiter than it is to make it through BMT. The AF is huge on PT these days, so go in with that mindset, keep yourself healthy and fit, or you'll have one short career. Bottom line, is stick with it. If you get in, you'll have a very laid back job (compared to some of ours). Good luck and let us know what happens!
Thanks! I actually started talking to recruiters. I'm 5'9 186 lbs and he said I need to lose weight to get in ( he wants me at 175 lbs). I'm 181 now. I'm also trying to think of a good profession to get into because I think it could be tough to get into the medical field with a bachelors in Marketing. I was thinking IT or intelligence. I really want to make sure I have a job when I get out and make good money. Any ideas will help me
Old 08-10-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

IT is good, Intel, not bad. Anything with communications will get you top dollar after you retire. If it's avionics related, promotions can be a bit easier, but you could be subjected to working on a hot flightline. Also consider Accounting and Finance, another field that's indoors and not on the 120 degree asphalt!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are those business fields exciting at all in the military or get any respect? Lol Would I need to go back to a university and get computer science degree to get into IT?
Old 08-10-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not necessarily, you'll probably take an aptitude test, and your score will be used to identify available career fields you are eligible for. Or at least that's how it worked back in 1980 when I enlisted! It's probably changed some since then... They also offer tuition assistance so if you do want to pursue another degree or higher education, it will be available!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're right. It's still the same. I'll let you know when I reach 175 lbs and take that officer test. I have a bazillion questions to ask the recruiter as well. I need to also ask about cross training. So you've been in for a while. Did you retire?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TrainerJuice
You're right. It's still the same. I'll let you know when I reach 175 lbs and take that officer test. I have a bazillion questions to ask the recruiter as well. I need to also ask about cross training. So you've been in for a while. Did you retire?
Yep, I did 20, retired in June 2000, and was hired back as a civilian in January 2001 and was with the Air Force until 3 weeks ago when I went to work for DoD. It's been great!
Old 08-11-2012, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

I'm an AF JTAC and I'm 5'10", 210 lbs and can outrun/outlift 99% of the service. Not sure why the fuck these recruiters want skinny kids these days. I doubt some 175lbs kid could drag my wounded/dead ass away from enemy fire/mortars. After being in for over 10 years, I can say with confidence that just cause we tend to enlist/commission the smartest ones doesnt mean they brought any common sense to the game. Cant tell you how many times I've had to rearrange airmen/LT's for doing dumb shit. Just please come in with not lacking shit everyone should know.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ptarnuzzer

Yep, I did 20, retired in June 2000, and was hired back as a civilian in January 2001 and was with the Air Force until 3 weeks ago when I went to work for DoD. It's been great!
Ptarnuzzer: Congratulations! You're set. Thanks for your service. Hopefully I'll give back.

Hagausaf: I agree about having to be under a certain weight. I was actually at the highest weight for 5'9 and he wanted me at 175... it's not a big deal to me (except I'm losing muscle and strength on this fast weight loss program) as a personal trainer I enjoy exercise and I'm pretty much committed if I set my mind to it.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

I just joined the AF in 2009, and I'm about to reenlist for another 4. I got in with the plan to get a job I can use on the outside. I landed an intelligence job, which does have some good civilian opportunities. My career field still has a good reenlistment bonus, and since I'm deployed I have the change to get the bonus money tax free, so I'm taking it! For the long term, I'd say IT related fields are not bad to get into if you're interested in civilian jobs. There will always be jobs in the intel world, but they can fluctuate depending on how many wars we are fighting at the time. If you go enlisted, take a look into career field with reenlistment bonuses, just keep in mind that these jobs have bonuses for a reason. Good luck to you!

Paul
Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

I was Army but the Air Force recruits some good looking girls. We used to love going on the fobs they were at.

Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Reply: What I Like About The Air Force