Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

In the Boat market

Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the Boat market

Decided to pick up another hobby, and the wife gave the go ahead, she is awesome!

I know boats are money pits but I'm looking for generally yearly maintenance cost and procedures I should be aware of. In the market for a used 90's bowrider I/O no smaller then a 4.3L. My budget for initial purchase 5,000 to 10,000 dollars. Also what are some general issues with this boat/motor combo? Skiing and cruising.

Trying to keep boat size at around 18'. Will my stock 2dr Rubicon have any issues pulling this size boat on a single axel trailer? Can't wait to join the boating community!

Thanks, Adam
Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stockrubi
Decided to pick up another hobby, and the wife gave the go ahead, she is awesome!

I know boats are money pits but I'm looking for generally yearly maintenance cost and procedures I should be aware of. In the market for a used 90's bowrider I/O no smaller then a 4.3L. My budget for initial purchase 5,000 to 10,000 dollars. Also what are some general issues with this boat/motor combo? Skiing and cruising.

Trying to keep boat size at around 18'. Will my stock 2dr Rubicon have any issues pulling this size boat on a single axel trailer? Can't wait to join the boating community!

Thanks, Adam
I've owned a few boats in my day, if you can pick up a used 18' Sea Ray they are awesome boats. I had an 18' Sea Ray bowrider runabout with the 6 cyl I/O , you can't beat that boat , it had bucket front seats and a bench seat in the rear, the engine cover doubled as a sundeck ( the women love that) i was very satisfied with the boat in everyway. I only sold it to buy a 19' Ski Sanger when i got into waterskiing but I sure wirsh i would have kept that boat. Your 2 door shouldn't have a problem towing it with the 6 speed, but I would see if anyone else chimes in and see how their Jeeps handle the towing

Last edited by 07crawler; 06-08-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I looked at a boat today, 1999 Starcraft 1810se with a 4.3L. The boat in general looks good. No major problems, motors runs great. A few spots underneath bring up some questions, last thing I want is fiberglass work. Give me y'all opinion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2132244658.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	170142   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4071315161.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	170143   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3329317158.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	170144  
Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
JK Freak

first pic looks nasty but blurred..second not so bad looks like dried algae? third looks very good...might be able to buff the crap out of it , mine was in the water for 6 months one year without trailering it and then sat for a week and the algae dried...had to buff it out . There are products on the market for buffing dried algae off...believe me it's a B**** what's the interior like?...most of the hull looks ok from the pics (other than the buffing needed) Starcraft is not a bad boat, I forget who the parent company is IE: Brunswick for Bayliner and Sea Ray, bayliner being the bottom of their line Sea Ray being up near the top. hope that helps
Old 06-10-2011, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07crawler
first pic looks nasty but blurred..second not so bad looks like dried algae? third looks very good...might be able to buff the crap out of it , mine was in the water for 6 months one year without trailering it and then sat for a week and the algae dried...had to buff it out . There are products on the market for buffing dried algae off...believe me it's a B**** what's the interior like?...most of the hull looks ok from the pics (other than the buffing needed) Starcraft is not a bad boat, I forget who the parent company is IE: Brunswick for Bayliner and Sea Ray, bayliner being the bottom of their line Sea Ray being up near the top. hope that helps
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was picked up from sitting in the water but wanted to make sure this will not harm the fiberglass. Looking for a ready to ride boat. The bad picture is a foot by foot nasty black patch directly under the transom in the back. Rest of the fiberglass looks in good shape.

The interior as a hole looks good. Could use a cleaning. There is one cut on the drivers seat but rest is in good shape. Half of the upholstery is new. The boat spent some time uncovered before the current person acquired it. The engine compartment is spotless, and motor shows 622 hours. Motor starts right up and lower unit had gears changed last year. He has a monstrosity 5 blade prop. Seams overkill. Ha

He is asking 7500, my opinion is that's way too high. Nada lists 6600, what's a reasonable price? Took a few more picks and here is the link.

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/2422574107.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-967571438.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	170344   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-629222877.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	170345   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1907668263.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	170346  
Old 06-10-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Junkie

Its funny you mention a new hobby because im doing the same thing, next month i take a class to get my ASA certificate for sail boating
Old 06-10-2011, 04:55 AM
JK Freak

With the economy and the price of gas today, you should be able to make a pretty good deal on a used boat if you take your time.
As far as towing, I wouldn’t recommend towing anything above what your Jeep is rated for. Make sure you talk to your insurance agent about your liability should Murphy bite you in the ass.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure the floor is not wood. It looks like may have a glassed over wood floor. I'd look for one that has fiberglass sole with no carpet, or at least removable carpet. Much less problems down the road. 2dr should tow fine. I towed 18ft with my old TJ/6spd all the time with no problem. Good luck!!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Here in Columbia,SC it's a buyer market. I just picked up my new 2001 24' desk boat with a 5.7L for $13,000. With the economy on the rise everyone is upgrading and boats are selling fast. Don't be in hurry and wait for the perfect boat for the right price. The JKU can pull a 20' bowrider or center console no problem. A pontoon would be another story with the wind resistance. Good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies, the more y'all post the more I learn.

Looked at another boat today. 1998 bayliner 1850se with 4.3. I liked it but showed some neglect. The boat appeared to have few hours but was never covered and left in the yard. Small cuts in about every seat, wet carpet, just not maintained. I know the manager for boat city, location the boat was serviced, and minor things have been changed. Motor is in great working shape, some motor brackets are corroded steering me away. Only asking 5000, y'all opinion? Will post picture when I get this iPad working right. Also checking out a 1993 crownline this week, pumped about that one!

Quick Reply: In the Boat market