Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Can anybody offer any advice on surf fishing to a complete noob?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't know alot about any type of fishing but i can tell you that whenever i toss a line into the water off of assateague island i catch a buzz. it may have something to do w/ the big bon fire and ice cold natty boh's!!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:46 PM
JK Newbie

My husband has gone out 3-4 times and the one piece of advice that I have not seen here is LONG needle nose plyiers or something similar.....almost everything you catch has lotsa teeth! You will
want something to get that hook out!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Holy reappearing post Batman! Finally got my permit for the beach.($130) Still going to wait on buying the fishing gear. I think I'll just pester some of the guys there a few times to see what they are using and what works.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

that is the best advise you can give yourself. Talk to local bait shops and anglers. Bass Pro is a good place to go to for rods and reels. Tackle I hit up wal mart they tend to be cheaper for the that type of stuff.

You may need a surf rod or you want beable to get away with a smaller rod. Personally I use a 6' and a 6'6" med action ugly sticks. I enjoy the fight more cause I just dont have to reel them in I have to actually work the fish.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:17 PM
JK Freak

why do you want to fish on a surfboard wouldnt a boat be easier?:confused:

kidding
Old 02-23-2008, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do some fly fishing I would think you would want to clean everything after putting it in salt water.
After a day of fishing I take the line off my reel, most fly fisherman do this the line is different then mono. I dry it with a cloth, inspect it for knicks and hang it. The reals get a complete cleaning and oiling, they end up in the water and on the ground more then my spinning gear.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
I have been looking for a hobby for some time. I live close to the Assateague Island National Seashore. I think I may want to try surf fishing since it would combine my love of using my Jeep (they have about 13 miles of drivable seashore right on the Atlantic ocean) and my love for the ocean. Does anybody have any experience with this? I know I will need gear, rods,a rod carrier for the Jeep etc. Where can I find this stuff? Is Bass Pro Shops a good source? I live very close to one, but since I'm not exactly an outdoorsman, I have never been in there. I think this could get expensive

As an avid fisherman, I would highly recommend that you learn how to fly fish, and then get a Tarpon 160i sit-on-top kayak so you can go anywhere you want to to get to the fish. It is an absolute blast! Take a lesson or 2 for the fishing and the kayaking. ALWAYS wear a life vest, and pay attention to your surroundings. You will be well rewarded.

I can think of few things I would rather do when on the coast. I mean of course with my clothes on.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went out with a guide my first time surfcasting, and it was money well spent. I would highly recommend it. Just simple things he taught us like how to get just a little more distance in your cast were invaluable. Also a lot of safety things, like when to wade and when not to, where to stand in heavy surf, and which fish are likely to mangle your hands are lessons well paid for. We spent 12 hours, didn't catch much more than a buzz, but it was more fun than I've had in a long time. I would second the other person above who said that using a smaller rod is a good option. Our guide had two rods for each of us, one of the big sticks, and one medium action spinning setup. Used the big ones when you needed to cast out past the break, and the small setup for estuaries and calmer areas, best of both worlds. I'm hoping to get to go out again in June when I visit my uncle on the coast again.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmcan
As an avid fisherman, I would highly recommend that you learn how to fly fish, and then get a Tarpon 160i sit-on-top kayak so you can go anywhere you want to to get to the fish. It is an absolute blast! Take a lesson or 2 for the fishing and the kayaking. ALWAYS wear a life vest, and pay attention to your surroundings. You will be well rewarded.

I can think of few things I would rather do when on the coast. I mean of course with my clothes on.
While I agree in part with the Kayak suggestion he is also not on the gulf coast. The east coast gets a little rough (surf and swell) and hard to manage in a small boat. The further north you go the more this is true. I say that the kayak suggestion is great for inshore but not off the beach.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Surf fishing, basic equipment. 8-10# test. Spinning reel if you're a noobie, bast casting if not. 8 foot pole or there abouts, light/med duty for. Fiberglass good, especially in a lightning storm.

Pyramid or similar sinkers, 3-8 oz depening on surf. Braided line nice but should only be used by experienced guys, the line can cut you bad. Use a hybrid or flourocarbon, something that is abrasion resistent. Plastic lures, especially Gulp in 2 to 3" variety. Worms, shad, shimp. SOme rainbow colors, some with red in it, and so on.

Get a good filet knife, and a couple others for cutting up fresh frozen bait. Check with the people in your local to see what is hot. Drop line rigging is usually good.

As has been mentioned, you do not need to cast far, unless there is some grass/kelp beds close by, look for rip tides, hollows and points.

Usually best and hour or two before and after high tide.

Have fun, follow the rules, and be sure to carry something to measure with.

Oh, and a sand spike that holds a couple rods would be a good thing, helps keep sand out of the reels.

Quick Reply: Can anybody offer any advice on surf fishing to a complete noob?