Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Fishing

Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugly Stick is a great rod. I highly recommend it, along with a 4400 Penn reel. I fish for Stripped Bass using it, with Clams or Herring as bait. I fish off shore about 1.5 hours before low tide and fish until 1.5 hours after low tide and pull in some nice schoolies (smaller Bass) and an occasional keeper (although I always catch and release).

I also have a lighter rod for trout fishing in lakes. We have some nice rainbow and lake trout up here (Mass/NH), and I use either powerbait or some live shiners.

Have you done any fishing ? Has anyone showed you the basics? First thing you need to learn (aside from being able to cast, set your hook and reel in) is how to tie knots and attach leaders and sinkers to your line. There is lots of info online if you do a google search on this.

Good luck and fire away at any more questions you have.

Eric
Old 07-21-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

I use power bait and/or worm...or castmaster lures...I only eat the trout that come out of the high lakes in the sierras...yummy
Old 07-21-2008, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking Well then

I think these boys have answered some of your questions...

...Oh- I chose the metallic, didn't see any other colors but the typical guy choice

The really cool part about it being PINK is that though he is swooning over the fact that it it a nice rod... he wont use it- because it is PINK

PS I don't like stringing worms either- I leave that up to the man-
Otherwise I fool around with a lure- catch a fish - then irritate him because I got one first

Last edited by Dizzyliz; 07-21-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM
JK Freak

according to field and stream magazine...i live in the #1 place to live in north america to fish. The Roaring Fork river is at my front door. The colorado is down the road. Throw in the frying pan, crystal and arkansa river a short drive away trout fishing at its finest. I just caught my first trout on a dry fly last night! Reeled in 16" browns out of the colorado this weekend on gold panther martins!!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I fish for Cutthroat trout. I use humphys, royal wolfs, and a few flies I tie myself. However, on real slow days when I am hungry I'm not above using a night crawler. I don't mind putting worms on hooks. All part of the experience.

Here are a few more "beginner's" hints. Be careful what you wear. Bright or light colors (white tee shirts or caps) can alert the fish to you presence. Also, rub your hands in the sand and water to remove any odors from hand creams, sun screen or human odors so it doesn't transfer to the bait when you bait up. Approach the water quietly with soft foot steps so as not to spook the fish.

One of the greatest thrills when fishing is watching a bait fly floating gently in the current of a stream and suddenly seeing the water explode when a fish takes it. HEART ATTACK CITY! Such great fun! Have fun fishing.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you for all the advice!!!! So I am going fishin again...but I did just learn the Lake I have been fishing in has trout...but I need a "special" liscense to catch a trout? ( why is it all so complicated!) Not that I'd know it was a trout lol....I have to go to Cabelas and learn what more fish look like.....I did just get a good book about Michigan Freshwater fish - for identifying them.... So far I have caught bluegill, rock bass, and some other fish.

So far its been catch and release too...as I have only caught 1 that seemed big enough to eat.... I have been lucky too...I have not had to get the fish off the hook- hubbo has been around for that or I get the boys fishing to do that- I am prepared with fishing gloves if I have too...... this lake has fish with spines...ugh.
Well I am enjoying this fishing thing wayyyy too much..... who knew it would be addictive??

I am goin back out on Thursday- camping and fishing.....
Old 07-22-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKGirl
OK...so who fishes? and what kind of bait do you use? and also what knd of freshwater fish do you eat???
I have started fishing and need help!!
If you did a search on fishing you will find a lot of us fish both salt and fresh water. In order to help you I have a few questions first by fresh water do you mean lake, river or pond? Also by fresh water do you mean cold water where trout live or warm water where bream and bass rule?

Overall in fresh water if you get a can of live worms (either dug from the ground or buy them) and rig them with the bait on or near bottom (sinker w/o float or with float) you will catch something.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKGirl
Thank you for all the advice!!!! So I am going fishin again...but I did just learn the Lake I have been fishing in has trout...but I need a "special" liscense to catch a trout? ( why is it all so complicated!) Not that I'd know it was a trout lol....I have to go to Cabelas and learn what more fish look like.....I did just get a good book about Michigan Freshwater fish - for identifying them.... So far I have caught bluegill, rock bass, and some other fish.

So far its been catch and release too...as I have only caught 1 that seemed big enough to eat.... I have been lucky too...I have not had to get the fish off the hook- hubbo has been around for that or I get the boys fishing to do that- I am prepared with fishing gloves if I have too...... this lake has fish with spines...ugh.
Well I am enjoying this fishing thing wayyyy too much..... who knew it would be addictive??

I am goin back out on Thursday- camping and fishing.....
Sounds as if you have a location where the trout are deep this time of year anyway so I would not worry about it. It also sounds as if you might have a few smallmouth bass as well however you are doing okay just need to get the experience of being out there and time in to learn the sport. As far as eating size even a small bluegill tastes good and taking a few smaller fish will not hurt the population. All you do is just scale and gut them (I also remove the head) and fry them up whole. Now you got me hungry and I guess I need to go fishing.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Only!!!!!
Yep, I know about worms and have been having good luck with them( just do not like hooking them.....) Can you believ e the campground has a Bait Vending machine?! Who know they made such things!!!??

You said you have to scale them?? well I read if you skin them you can skip the messy scaling...also how big does the fish need to be to eat it?

An oh yes... I have been fishing in a big lake.....
Old 07-22-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't fished in years, but taking a neighbor and his 9yr old son to cabelas(in hamburg pa) tomorrow to get them a little more educated and geared up. I like fishing for channel cats at night, and pickerel at dusk,, just remember steel leader.. and bass in the am.. I use lures, powerbait, livebait(minows) which some say is cheating.. but its fun.. and If I'm feeling lazy and relaxing,, I don't bait the hook and sitback with the line in and have a few beers and a nice nap by the river..
Steve

Quick Reply: Fishing