Notices
Boating & Fishing General discussion forum regarding all forms of boating including motor boats, sailboats and all things fishing including fly fishing, deep sea fishing, fishing gear and great places to fish.

Jon Boat

Old 12-17-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jon Boat

Hey guys I'm in the market for a little Jon Boat. Just wondering if anyone knows of any good ones that aren't too expensive. I just plan on doing some weekly fishing trips with some of my friends, nothing too intense. Mostly just some bay fishing. Don't plan on getting a huge motor, just enough to push it around.

I was looking at the tracker jon boats.. hXXp://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=3350

Any input on boats or motors?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

You can find a lot of cheap jon boats on craigslist. Get a nice welded jon with a 9.9-15hp out board.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your in the market and your thinking bay boat I highly "highly" recommend something over 10' Please find something in the 14'+ range...

It's really tough to get caught in a bay with a brief thunderstorm...that 10' jon boat is sunk!..not to mention that your talking about the safety of your family or friends. It's only rated @ 3hp. great for ponds or lakes..not a bay.

try to find an 14'+ aluminum v hull with something in the order of 25hp. That should suit 2-3 persons and a relatively high level of safety in a bay...

just be safe....
Old 01-09-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

I own a tracker, not a jon boat, a V Hull. Love it, no complaints.

Also check of G3 Boats, War Eagle, Express, Alumacraft. These are a few of the others I considered.

I agree with the previous post, I would recommend at minimum a 14+ footer. I also have a 14' mirrocraft shallow v, that i use for shallow waters and duck hunting, and it is small when you get out on the water. I have a 15hp evinrude on teh back of that and it gets up and moves, plenty if power.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Default Hope this helps

5 Best Jon Boats For Fishing
By: Bobby Ivie

Break Studios Contributing Writer

Because of the affordability and the convenience, jon boats are a regular on the fishing scene, so take the time to learn about the best 5 jon boats for fishing and get the most bang for your buck. Some jon boats have a flat bottom and a flat hull, and others have a v-shape. Anglers can use paddles to control the boat or mount a small motor on it. Because of their size, they make for easier fishing in tight areas. Manufacturers put their own variations into each boat. Here's a look at the 5 best jon boats for fishing.

1.Tracker Guide V-14. This is an excellent jon boat for fishing if you do your angling on larger waters. It is a V-shaped boat which allows the boat to move easier through choppy waters. It has a riveted aluminum alloy construction that will last many years in with heavy use. It can hold a 25 horsepower motor that will move the jon boat nicely over the water.
2.G3 Welded Jon Boat. G3 makes one of the best jon boats in a one-piece welded construction of .100 marine gauge aluminum. The thicker gauge is good to have if you fish around rocky areas that could tear a whole in the boat. The bottom of the boat is also ribbed for added strength. The G3 jon boat comes in both flat and slightly V-shaped hull, both with a flat bottom.3.Roughneck. The welded construction Roughneck jon boat is made by Lowe Boats. They come with a lot more features than you might find in a simpler jon boat, such as an interior coating to protect the deck, storage boxes on the bow and pedestal seat bases. The Roughneck is a flat-bottom boat with a V-shaped hull.
4.Alumacraft Side Console. These are all-welded construction side console jon boats, meaning that you can sit in them just like a larger bass boat to drive the boat. The seat's sit low to allow you to navigate around tree limbs and bushes. It comes with a live well and rod storage.
5.Intruder 12. This is a boat for fishermen who need something very light and inexpensive. It's only twelve feet long and weighs 133 pounds, but it can hold two people. It is made from polyethelene and designed to take a pounding from rocks. This is a good boat for paddles and a very small motor, like a trolling motor.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

i have had an alumnicraft and currnetly have a g3. i love them both but the g3 seems to have held up a bit better than the alumnicraft
Old 01-13-2011, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Gheenoe or go home:

http://www.gheenoe.net/
Old 01-25-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ursandal
Gheenoe or go home:

http://www.gheenoe.net/
that would be a kick ass red fish boat you could really get up in the shit, especially in the marshes where i live

Quick Reply: Jon Boat