Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

7 pin trailer plug question.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 pin trailer plug question.

Those of you that have needed to install a 7 pin plug and break control.

Q: My concern is the plug hanging too low for trail use, should I keep the plug inside ?

Q: Where did you install the brake control in the cab ?
Old 10-02-2010, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

I assume when you say the "plug" being too low you mean where the 7 pin cable from your trailer plugs into on your vehicle. I've seen one person who cut a square hole in the middle of his rear bumper and stuck the plug through that. This way he can get more ground clearance when off roading without ripping off the plug.

My brake control unit was mounted under the steering wheel between my legs. if you remove the very bottom pannel of your lower dash below the steering wheel just above the peddles (it's a rectangle about 10 or so inches wide and maybe 5 inches tall) you can mount it on a piece of the dash frame structure. I'm a short guy and it doesnt bother me and I never hit it with my legs, ever... and I have to sit close to the dash.

This location for the control unit is ideal for quick access to the emergency manual brake switch on it. I find I have to adjust the trailers brake intensity quite often. would really suck to have to reach in the glove box like I was thinking.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

I drilled a hole in my bumper and mounted the plug inside the bumper.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Guys,
I want the brake control in reach for sure, I also need to fine tune often on my other tow rig. plus if you want to apply brakes to the trailer only, you need to be able to reach the brake control easily

the plug in the bumper looks great Robar, I will see if I can do something like that on the stock bumper.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Mojo
Thanks Guys,
I want the brake control in reach for sure, I also need to fine tune often on my other tow rig. plus if you want to apply brakes to the trailer only, you need to be able to reach the brake control easily

the plug in the bumper looks great Robar, I will see if I can do something like that on the stock bumper.
Yeah super easy. Best part about having plastic bumpers!

Quick Reply: 7 pin trailer plug question.