Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

A/C for Tents

Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i can read very well thank you. Now what is it precisely that made you think I sound like a "tard"? was that very nice of you???
Old 11-26-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
i can read very well thank you. Now what is it precisely that made you think I sound like a "tard"? was that very nice of you???
No it wasn't nice. But breaking it down I explained that:
1) I was possibly going to need a field post production setup, to include people and computer equipment to work all summer. Setting the equipment cooling requirements aside, asking a editorial staff to work efficiently in 100+ temperatures is not going to be good for productivity.
2) I mentioned that part of the time we would be in wilderness areas, not really to domain of the typical RV. Sure we could look in to Global Expedition Vehicles if we had that kind of coin but we don't.

So your sage advice was that if I was going to be a "wuss" I should get a RV. Not only was that "not very nice" but also not very helpful.

So there is your answer. In hindsight I shouldn't have even bothered to reply or let it annoy me.

Dave
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default all right

ok, i will accept that apology. I never called you a wuss. It was just one of them smart ass white boy things. Not meant to be mean but not meant to be helpful either. Actually, I am aware of mobile AC units but not sure who manufactures them. I've actually worked on some many years ago, some have diesel engines. They were large enough to cool off cargo aircraft. Probably not within your budget either. Must be some mobile units small enough to help you in your endeavor, maybe u could do some internet research.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it going to be in a dry climate where a swamp cooler will work?

This is what we used to do in our GP tents while on deployment in the desert.

If you have electricity (which it sounds like you will)

Items needed

2) 4" section of 1/2" PVC
2) 2' section of 1/2" PVC
4) 1/2 pvc elbows
1) roll or package of Cheese clothe
1) plastic wall paper tray (you know the thing you roll the paper in to make it wet so you can hang it)

If you want to get self sufficient use this
1) fish tank or small water pump
1)7' setion of 1/4" flexible hose

Put the PVC together to make a 2x4 in frame

You can hang it or make a stand (hanging seemed to work best
Hang it on the windward side and make sure you have a constant breeze going throught the tent.

Works best not in direct sunlight

Put the cheese clothe over the frame and the basin below it

soak the cheese clothe with water

TAA!!!DAA!!!!!!instant swamp cooler for about $10 (unless you use the water pump.

It will lower the temp easy 15 to 20 degrees

That is a 29 Palms Ca. Desert proven concept.

If you don't want to go though all that buy the small A/C unit and plug it in.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
A generator and a portable air conditioner would be a simple solution. The portable air conditioner has a flexible round duct to route the hot air outside. Condensate is drained through a small tube to the outside.
Do a Google search for portable air conditioner.
Could use this condensate as a water source???
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidEllzey
This is almost too embarrassing to ask but there is a chance I will be putting together a video production this next summer that will require some of the post production to be done in the field. We will move once a week for 22 weeks, sometimes we will be in the wilderness, sometimes developed camp grounds and other times at hotels.

For the times in the wilderness and campsites, I could put up a couple of canvas wall tents but I would need them to have the option of air conditioning if it gets too hot. In campsite I might have 120v available but who knows? For the wilderness we would need to be self contained.

So assume we have solar panels, generators and a bunch deep cycle batteries. What would be the best solution to keeping a 10x14 canvas wall tent cool with 2 to 4 people inside, plus laptops and a pile of drives when it gets hot?

Dave
CIJeep has it right

Get a reflecting cover to keep the direct sunlight off your roof and sun side of the work tent.

Stay away from swamp cooler, electronics and humidity dont mix !

I don't know the environment you will be working in so I will assume the worst 24Hr heat with a possibility of rain.

Consideration of weight = forget the solar panels and deep cycle batteries and inverters, use that weight for fuel for the generators and other needed equipment.

Generators = The Honda EU3000iSA is without a dough the best unit I have been around, at full load you can have a normal
conversation with other people right next to the unit, and with a 20' J box, you want even know it's there while in the

work tent. Here are some specs

3000 watts, 120V

Power for your fridge, microwave, most 13,500 BTU AC units
Super quiet
Convenient electric start
Fuel efficient - up to 20 hrs on 3.4 gals of gas
Inverter - stable power for computers and drives

Options

Storage Cover
4 Wheel Kit
DC Charging Cord
Transfer Switch
Parallel Cables

Down side=cost MSRP $1,999.95 (but by not carrying solar panels, deep cycle batteries, and inverters, and the associated cost of
those) it would be a trade off to buy two EU3000iSA , one for a backup unit. Or run both, one for the AC and the other for the equipment, and don't overload the units,shop around.

AC units = They are nothing but a heat and humidity exchanger, a good unit that I use for a 10 X 12 room is by Delonghi 11000 BTU unit with condenser heat duct thur a window port and keeps my tower and video and sound equipment a cool 78 deg when it's 107 outside.

Down side = Noise level I'm guessing here, but about the same as a 20" fan at mid speed

Tent = You are on your own here, but I would suggest one with a water proof floor with it. And what will the workers be sleeping in ?

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 01-11-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 PM
JK Freak

:rotfl mao2:
Old 03-23-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thinking out loud here, but having any gasoline engine in a Wilderness area is a big NO NO!

Or did you just mean, away from 120v hockups?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bert338
Thinking out loud here, but having any gasoline engine in a Wilderness area is a big NO NO!

Or did you just mean, away from 120v hockups?

He can't mean Designated Wilderness Areas because you can't have vehicles in Wilderness Areas; everything has to be packed in. I'm sure he just means remote locations with primitive campsites.

I hope...otherwise that's a lot of stuff to pack.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by 33 williys 77
CIJeep has it right

Get a reflecting cover to keep the direct sunlight off your roof and sun side of the work tent.

Stay away from swamp cooler, electronics and humidity dont mix !

I don't know the environment you will be working in so I will assume the worst 24Hr heat with a possibility of rain.

Consideration of weight = forget the solar panels and deep cycle batteries and inverters, use that weight for fuel for the generators and other needed equipment.

Generators = The Honda EU3000iSA is without a dough the best unit I have been around, at full load you can have a normal
conversation with other people right next to the unit, and with a 20' J box, you want even know it's there while in the

work tent. Here are some specs

3000 watts, 120V

Power for your fridge, microwave, most 13,500 BTU AC units
Super quiet
Convenient electric start
Fuel efficient - up to 20 hrs on 3.4 gals of gas
Inverter - stable power for computers and drives

Options

Storage Cover
4 Wheel Kit
DC Charging Cord
Transfer Switch
Parallel Cables

Down side=cost MSRP $1,999.95 (but by not carrying solar panels, deep cycle batteries, and inverters, and the associated cost of
those) it would be a trade off to buy two EU3000iSA , one for a backup unit. Or run both, one for the AC and the other for the equipment, and don't overload the units,shop around.

AC units = They are nothing but a heat and humidity exchanger, a good unit that I use for a 10 X 12 room is by Delonghi 11000 BTU unit with condenser heat duct thur a window port and keeps my tower and video and sound equipment a cool 78 deg when it's 107 outside.

Down side = Noise level I'm guessing here, but about the same as a 20" fan at mid speed

Tent = You are on your own here, but I would suggest one with a water proof floor with it. And what will the workers be sleeping in ?

x2 on that. forget the solar panel idea. Get a Honda generator and a portable AC unit. If you are running electronics, computers you dont want to run some cheap generator that can surge power and fry your electronics. Im pretty sure The Honda 3000 is safe for computers.

Quick Reply: A/C for Tents