Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Camping/Hiking Zion & The Grand Canyon

Old 01-12-2008, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post some when I get back! :P Have never been there either. lol
Old 01-13-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know we're in for a hot one...Not going for a long hike though, it's only going to be like 4.5/5miles in and then out the next day. Just to get a taste of it. And going to probably hit the majority of the hike by headlamp early morning. I am so psyched for this hike...
Old 01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm at work right now, but I'll post a few pics up here when I get home tonight.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Scratch that, I remembered the password to my wifes photoalbum. Here are 4 shots from our northrim trip.

This is a shot from the trail before we descended into the canyon.

This is a shot of Thunder River. It's a spring that flows from the rock and is said to be the shortest river in the world at under 2 miles.

This is a shot of Tapeats creek, right by our first campsite. Thunder river flows into this creek, and the creek flows into the Colorado River.

This is a shot from the Deer Creek falls area, looking up the Grand Canyone and at the Colorado River in the bottom.

Last edited by Goose; 01-13-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

So awesome...I can't wait. Was up untill like 2am getting reservation quotes for the trip and hotels when we hit Vegas at the end... Sick,, Great Pics!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Z-Man
Interesting quandry I just found myself in... How do I fly out there with my knives and hatchet? Is that even possible. I was thinking I could just put it in my pack, and check my pack with no issues, but not so sure... Any ideas?
Put them in your checked bags and it will be no problem.

Just like traveling with guns to hunt somewhere distant.

If you have very nice stuff, get the insurance, and document what you have in the bags.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:55 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-Man
... How do I fly out there with my knives and hatchet? ...
You backpack with a hatchet? Seriously? Anyway, you might check, out this page for info:

SummitPost Grand Canyon National Park Page

Scott and IGO, listed at the top of the page (along with me) are very familiar with backcountry hikes. You might try to contact either of them with specific questions.

and this page for Zion:

SummitPost Zion National Park Page

Again, try to contact the "page by" contact points with specific questions.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow.. Havasu falls looks pretty sick! As this is our first time desert climate hiking, we are sticking to Indian Garden and the Bright Angel trail at the GC. That looks pretty cool for our next visit to the GC. Great Pics!

Mark: Yeah, I do use the hatchet when car camping, or back country that allows for camp fires. Since neither Zion nor the GC allow for that, the hatchet is staying home. It's not big. It's a small Gerber camp axe. Thanks for the links!

I leave Friday for the trip, I'll have trip reports and photos on my hiking webstie: www.z-hiking.com for anyone who wants to visit. There are some things on there now, but it is just getting started. The photogallery has a bunch of pics from the differenct hikes I have done so far over the past year or 2.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

How in the world did I miss this thread! My license plate is GCNPHKR (Grand Canyon National Park Hiker). I've done Rim to Rim to Rim 5 times and dozens of overnight trips. Let me add some advice and info, sorry if this is a little over the top.

So you're doing Indian Gardens, nice little hike down, and most campsites are well shaded. You'll have lot's of places to get water, but I reccomend at least 2 quarts per person, unless the water line is out (happens sometimes), in which case carry a gallon per person, but they'll be able to tell you that at the back country office or even at the Bright Angel Lodge desk. There is water available 1.5 & 3 miles down, plus at the campground itself, but you will need to drink a lot more than you think as the air is so dry, you don;t seem to perspire as much, but it evaporates so fast that you don;t notice it.

Yes it will be warm, but not too bad as early June isn't super hot and it's not as hot at Indian gardens as it would be ant Bright Angel campground/Phantom Ranch. I've done the big trips in late July/early August, when 120-130 is common, but we hike very early in the day, usually starting while it's dark, but early June is not that bad.

Leave early to avoid the crowds on the trail and to get a good campsite, but there will still be a lot of people and mules as well on the trails. This will also give you time to head out to Plateu point, which overlooks the Colorado river. It's a flat hike, but again carry water and trail food as it's out in the open, no shade, and no water along the trail.

depending on what you prefer, I would not take a tent, it will be confortable at night, so a light blanket/sleeping bag and sleeping pad should be all you need. Bring a tarp in case of rain, but not likely in June.

There are only three things to really watch out for. two of which are scorpions and rattlesnakes, odds are you will not see either one, but watch where you camp and shake out your boots. The third thing is far more dangerous and I guarantee you will see then, SQUIRRELS!!!! Damn things will get into your bags if you leave any food in there and they don't open them where they are supposed to be opened. Ammo boxes are at each campsite so you can lock up you food, so be sure to use them. hang you packs as well, just to keep things out.

Going back up will take you longer than you expect, not necessarily becasue it's difficult, but because of the people coming down and the mule trains slowing you down. Uphill hikers have the right of way over down hill hikers, but mules have the right of way, not mater which direction they are going.

There is a small ice cream shop at the Bright Angel Lodge, really good and great right after the trail.

Hope this helps on your trip, enjoy, stay safe and take lots of pictures.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome advice, thanks Scouter! As this is our first time there, we figured go easy and get A feel for it. And yeah, the water thing is going to be the most important for sure.. Here's a question, whats the deal with insects? Am I going to have to deal with mosquitos or gnats or anything like that that I need to bring insect repellent?

Quick Reply: Camping/Hiking Zion & The Grand Canyon