Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Hiking boots?

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll name a few good brands; Asolo, Vasque, Lowa, Raichel(sp?), Montrail, Merrell, and one of my personal favorites, Matterhorn.

Here's the problem, as others have said, all the brands with all their models fit differently. You really have to try them on, all of them, walk around on rocks and incline/decline, jump, wear some weight, etc. Plan to spend about 2 hours getting fitted for boots.

I finally retired my Matterhorns, and bought an actual pair of hiking boots. After going through about 15 different boots at Travel County, I settled on Vasque Switchback GTX. They're more of a hiker than a backpacking boot, but they fit the best. I was prepared to spend about $300 for boots, and ended up with a $160 pair because they fit the best.

My boot criteria include Goretex, mostly leather, and Vibram soles. I prefer a resoleable boot, but I guess that is a thing of the past.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

German army surplus jackboots.

Quick Reply: Hiking boots?