Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Unique food ideas for camping

Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique food ideas for camping

planning a wheeling trip to the badlands in a couple weeks. the people im going with wanna do something different than the typical camp fire foods. anyone have some awesome recipes or what not for camping? doesnt matter how simple or difficult they are.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lobster is always nice. A nice curry chicken, dutch oven a cake or cobbler.

Toughest part for us is always space.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

There's another thread, and I recommend the Santa Fe Stew in the first post. Nice thing is you can do most of the prep before the trip, and then it's just dump everything into the Dutch oven and enjoy the smells as it cooks.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?30523-Camp-Recipes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know it's not typical, but we pack military type MREs from a local surplus or survival store... They're not like the old c-rations. There are some pretty gross ones, but there are some really good ones.

Stuffed french toast - Good.
Chili-mac - Good.
Cheese Tortellini - Good.
Ravioli - Good.
Beef stew - Good.
Pears - Good.
Fudge brownie - Good.

If you find the right place, you can mix and match instead of buying the full packs.

They heat up easily either using the heaters or simply putting them next to a camp fire. They keep a long long time too.

ht tp://www.longlifefood.com/mre.asp
Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

My favorite camping food is the easiest. Corn on the cob. I simply lay the whole ears (uncleaned) around the coals of the fire. 10-15 minutes later best corn you ever had. The husk steams the kernels and direct heat can toast them a little making it super sweet. Just give 'em a quarter turn every few minutes.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zking1776
My favorite camping food is the easiest. Corn on the cob. I simply lay the whole ears (uncleaned) around the coals of the fire. 10-15 minutes later best corn you ever had. The husk steams the kernels and direct heat can toast them a little making it super sweet. Just give 'em a quarter turn every few minutes.
If possible, soak 'em in a bucket of water for 1/2 hour first so they really steam. Don't forget the butter and black pepper.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't camp very often but I grill pretty regularly.

I like to pouch Bratwurst in beer with onions and peppers. Once they are cooked. Take them out and grill them to get the outsides colored.

Another familly favorite is teryaki chicken breast. Put the chicken breat on the grill with a whole pineapple slice on top. Pour the teryaki sause overtop and fill the center of the pineapple. Continue basting the chicken and when you flip it put the pineapple backon top. When its done cover each piece with a slice of swiss cheese. They make great sandwiches with a little lettuce and mayo too.

Corn on the cob.
Roasted potatoes.
Baked potatoes.
Baked beans.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:15 PM
JK Newbie

Foil dinner is really simple and good. Just put ground beef, potatoes, corn, etc..., make it your own. Wrap it all in foil and throw it on the coals till its done, easy to do and tastes good. Its easy for everyone to make there own just they way want.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A fun food that kids enjoy helping prepare is an egg cooked inside a large baked potato.

Slice the top off the potato and scoop out the insides with a spoon, crack an egg inside, and put the potato top back on held with cocktail sticks. Wrap it in foil and bake in the coals.

Its not always easy to get kids to help cook or eat healthy, this achieves both and tastes great
Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by westchester
A fun food that kids enjoy helping prepare is an egg cooked inside a large baked potato.

Slice the top off the potato and scoop out the insides with a spoon, crack an egg inside, and put the potato top back on held with cocktail sticks. Wrap it in foil and bake in the coals.

Its not always easy to get kids to help cook or eat healthy, this achieves both and tastes great
We do something similar with an orange for breakfast.

Quick Reply: Unique food ideas for camping