Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

$1.28 a litre

Old 05-15-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $1.28 a litre

Yep..thats what it is here....just went up yesterday.....brutal....Here in Kingston we get to deal with this all summer long every weekend.

I really dont mind paying for gas...I just hate how they can jump it 10 cents in about 2 hours period...with nothing major happening to gas in the world...gouging pricks....

Imagine buying milk one day and it goes up by $4 the next..there would be murder in the streets....
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

booo hooo()... $1.35 here.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kulapiku
booo hooo()... $1.35 here.
Like I said my concern isnt the price...it is the fact that it can jump like that for no good reason.

Oddly enough though Vancouver, like Kingston is the other city on top of here that I feel could use a new lane on EVERY road...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going up tonight by 6 cents, will bring it to about $1.40 or so, diesel going up to $1.51 !!! I need a solar jeep, na, you need sun for that.

Mariner
Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah, lets not even get started on road design around here... I do agree with you about the price flux, i would like to know how throughout the course of any given day, gas can go from one price, up 8 cents a litre, down 10 cents, then back up 4.

Here are several of my gripes about pricing.

I remember how when the price of oil used to drop 5 bucks a barrel, the gas companies would say, well we bought all of this oil at XX dollars, so until we use up that stock, we cant drop the prices. - - - however if prices jumped up 10 bucks a barrel, you'd see the change at the pump instantly.

when oil went to ~$60 (i think) a barrel a few summers ago, we saw prices of 1.20 (up from the regular .80/.90 ish)... now that prices are $120/barrel, prices have gone up to 1.30 (from the regular 1.15/1.20). Now im by no means a mathematician, but by the varying logic that we get from oil companies, should we not be paying about 2.40/litre

lastly, i recently heard that gas is more expensive in the summer because summer time requires a "special blend" which costs more to manufacture. now maybe someone that works in the industry can chime in here, but how the hell does that work? i've heard of a winter gas for cooler temps (somewhat understandable) but "summer gas"? give me a break.

/rant
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I all really know if this was France anyone who drives a vehicle for work would have had a national day of protest and the government would be in fear of the people. I know they pay like 4$ a litre there but keep in mind that they are a small country and what i burn in a week here would last me 2 or 3 weeks there.

1/3 of the gas price is tax a tax that is based on percentage so the gov is raking it in right now...like cigarettes taxes back in the 90's

i see there is a new item out called the fuel ??????? it goes in ur back yard and makes ethanol gas just add alcohol and if ya don't have that then add what is required to make alcohol. cost per litre .25cents cost of unit 10000$
i spent 6383$ for 1 yr of gas for my jeep in the first year i got it apr 24 07 to apr 24 08 that was 26000kms

when and at what point does the economy suffer and then the gov steps in?

why in places like Venezuela is gas so cheap .35 cents a litre or less?

all
well lets just be canadians and rant some more...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

BWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! !!!!

Hows that for a rant.....hope they heard me.

Its still $1.24 here....has been all week, hasn't budged...I filled up on my way home 1/2 hour ago just in case.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
I all really know if this was France anyone who drives a vehicle for work would have had a national day of protest and the government would be in fear of the people. I know they pay like 4$ a litre there but keep in mind that they are a small country and what i burn in a week here would last me 2 or 3 weeks there.

1/3 of the gas price is tax a tax that is based on percentage so the gov is raking it in right now...like cigarettes taxes back in the 90's

i see there is a new item out called the fuel ??????? it goes in ur back yard and makes ethanol gas just add alcohol and if ya don't have that then add what is required to make alcohol. cost per litre .25cents cost of unit 10000$
i spent 6383$ for 1 yr of gas for my jeep in the first year i got it apr 24 07 to apr 24 08 that was 26000kms

when and at what point does the economy suffer and then the gov steps in?

why in places like Venezuela is gas so cheap .35 cents a litre or less?

all
well lets just be canadians and rant some more...

the only time i see that happening is when gas prices get so high that you simply cannot afford to commute to work. For instance, if you had to commute 100 km one way to work, or even round trip for that matter, you would need to be making like $5/hr more, than if you were to just work in your home town making $X/hr. So people working in downtown vancouver making 12-15 and hour, are better off getting a min. wage job in their town (plus they wouldnt have to spend 2 hrs one way driving to work). public transit here is a joke, so that isnt a viable option, the cost of living is far too much for anyone to be able to live closer to town.

From an economic stand point, i would be interested to see what would happen if the gov't stopped taxing fuel all together. If i save $50-100 a month from my gas bill because it's 50 cents cheaper/litre, i know that i'll still spend it on something else (which would boost the economy, create jobs, and hell, they'll still get their money from the tax i pay for the different thing i buy).
Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, if it is going to be taxed then it should be a flat tax. Not a %. But the real part that gets me is that the tax is supposed to go to maintain roads. I don't know about where you are but there is no way any of that tax money is going to roads in Manitoba.

Going for potholes, more like sinkholes.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

Yeah but we have Jeeps....big honkin Wranglers at that, potholes should be fun.....I aim for them while all the jokers in the rice rockets look on in horror and weave recklessly around them......but they dodge sewer covers to....

Quick Reply: $1.28 a litre