Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

First repair out of Warranty

Old 08-21-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are air tubes on the tops of your axles and transmission.....venting usually means that you have placed longer tubes on them so water doesn't get it and spoil the fluids....

The JK's are pretty good with factory venting but its worth analysing a little further.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scbesse
speaking of an auto tranny, I met with a bunch of wheelers on sun night and one of the guys wanted to know if i have vented my tranny. is this something I should look into doing???
water in auto means rebuild and tow home most likely.
water in manual means gear oil change when ya get home.

so which one do you like?

not to mention the auto catch on fire under certain circumstances

next time you here a random ding in an auto that's your auto telling you once that it is having an issue

but ya autos are nice
Old 08-21-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

Personally, I think autos take the fun out driving a Jeep. We should probably drop this topic, Iv'e seen these kinds of threads kepp going and going and going and going and going.....................and nobody ever wins
Old 08-22-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Yeah they do keep going on and on and on.....

That said, I have driven off-highway for many years, trail runs, exploration, expedition driving, and performance testing.

During this time I have driven a vast majority of manual transmissions, I got totally put off with having to find leg room around the clutch, dinking around with gears on the trail systems plus a variety of other things.

Getting the automatic on this current Jeep and all others in the future of Overland and my personal vehicles (with the exception of high performance cars) will be the norm for me.

I find that having the system find the correct gear for me on heavy terrain or steep hills that require slow movement allows me to keep my hands on the wheel and avoid "Palming" the wheel or doing "the spin skip" trick on the wheel where you spin the wheel and let go for a second to get a different grip with one hand.

It also allows me to simply concentrate more on where my wheels are going and being placed inch by inch on the trail system.

Automatic on long drives and long off-highway streches, in my opinion is perfect.

I'll save the manual transmission for sports cars when I really need to have FULL control of a high speed vehicle on winding tracks.....which by the way is a ton of fun to.

Alright, so my opinion has been placed....let the war begin....hhahahaha

Quick Reply: First repair out of Warranty