Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Full throttle

Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I picked up the JK after work yesterday.
Its great to have it back after slip sliding away with the Chrysler 300 rear wheel drive on all seasons

They still claim that it was the floor mat, but I can not reproduce it even when trying.
They did claim to replace the gas pedal, AND they did pay for three days of car rental, which makes me think they are hoping I wont press this, since they wouldn't even cover a defective $14 Evap switch under warranty because I had replaced it myself a month prior.

As I was leaving, the mechanic who looked at the car came out and met me in the parking lot. He told me that the gas pedal was making a clicking noise when he pressed it (engine off, just looking at the mechanics of the peddle and the floor mat).
He told them that there "Might" be a problem with it, maybe the spring or whatever mechanism that normally return it to the off position.
So it "Could" have been the floor mat, or as they wont admit, it could have been a defect in the peddle itself.

As far as the Throttle position light goes, No it wasn't because of over revving the light came on as I braked to slow the engine was running around 3500rpm at the time. The service guy confirmed that if you brake while applying gas, the computer assumes there may be a problem and flashes the light.
So this must have happened, which misdirected my attention away from the peddle and to the electronics.

(Of course it could have been a computer glitch, I did have the cruise turned on, but not set.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a click huh ya i would go with what the mechanic said.
sounds like you got a new pedal
counter guys are covering up to protect and down playing things.
oh and of course blaming you.

on a side note
i have not been able to do an oil change on the wifes care for sometime now do to weather and generally being ill, so took it to walmart
they were nicer and more helpful than the dealer
and pretty sure they checked more stuff according to their print out, and they were very nice.
thumbs up to the trenton walmart

and yes i popped the hood and checked things over,,,,i have learned to do this with my dealer and definitely would with walmart.

would i take the JK there hmmm not likely too much for the grease monkeys to play with.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

The old Chrysler cars of the 80's had this problem.
I very surprised to see that this problem is back 25 years later...
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

You should try it hit the gas and the break to see if the throttle light comes on again

I learned along time ago when the claim to replace stuff to take a yellow marker like the ones they use on under hood hoses to mark them inline to what the connect to and mark the part and then check it afterwards to make sure they did what they said they were gonna do
Old 01-30-2009, 02:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK Freedom
The old Chrysler cars of the 80's had this problem.
I very surprised to see that this problem is back 25 years later...
I haven't tried braking while continuing to hold the accelerater down part way to see if the light comes on or not, but the service guy did say that it would when I picked it up.
I hadnt suggested that I thought this might happen, he just told me to explain why I had seen it.
Yeah maybe I will try it whenever I see some bare and dry roads again but I am pretty sure that the JK is smart enough to realize that something is wrong in that case and putting the Throttle sensor warning light on, makes the most sense to me.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bet it was the peddle itself. If it were the floor mat way to many of us out there for it to not happen to one of us. and it happend to you twice

Well glad you got it back your safe and i hope you wont be making this face again
Old 01-30-2009, 03:24 AM
JK Freak

CHeers, Thanks
Yeah Im convinced it was the peddle now.
If the Mechanic thought ther was something there, and it was clicking and squeaking , then it must have been that.
Just glad that it isn't more serious that we would all have to be worried about.
It was just a "One-Off" thing.

P.S. One Off? shouldnt it be "One of" as in "One of a kind" ?
Sounds to me like people trying too hard to be trendy
Old 01-31-2009, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tunes
I haven't tried braking while continuing to hold the accelerater down part way to see if the light comes on or not, but the service guy did say that it would when I picked it up.
I hadnt suggested that I thought this might happen, he just told me to explain why I had seen it.
Yeah maybe I will try it whenever I see some bare and dry roads again but I am pretty sure that the JK is smart enough to realize that something is wrong in that case and putting the Throttle sensor warning light on, makes the most sense to me.
well i tried it this morning on my way into work

floored it and braked at the same time

my front wheels where locking up abs worked well but no "lightning bolt"

tried it at various speeds too 15km/h 30km/h and at 60km/h

poor stealerships they just don't get it . "It's A Jeep Thing" they will never know what we know
Old 01-31-2009, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -MAW-
well i tried it this morning on my way into work

floored it and braked at the same time

my front wheels where locking up abs worked well but no "lightning bolt"

tried it at various speeds too 15km/h 30km/h and at 60km/h

poor stealerships they just don't get it . "It's A Jeep Thing" they will never know what we know
exactly and that is what is wrong with dealerships. they hire people with out a clue

all the mechanic had to do was ask for a key to a JK on the lot start it up and do what MAW did.

15 minutes max and a wealth of info gained for life.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well my wife tells me that my brother in law just got hired at a chrysler dealership here in ontario. He is a mechanic, used to work at both a honda and toyota dealerships.

Next time he is down, likely this summer, I will bend his ear abit about some of these issues. Try and get the inside scoop on what some of the real issues are.

Cheers

JKDad

Quick Reply: Full throttle