Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Insurance!!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Summer
We're currently with Johnson Insurance. I haven't needed to make a claim yet with this jeep, however when I wrote off my TJ Sport (damn Black Ice ) that was lifted with the full kit of mods, they completely covered it.
When did you get insurance with them? I just called them and Dejardins and they both rejected me. I wish whoever made these stupid rules would take a physics class or something. When you lift a Jeep 4 inches and increase it's width by 8, that is a safer ride in my opinion and mathematical calculation.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was with State Farm. When I went in to review my insurance policies. The agent helping me commented on my jeep. I also had inquired about making sure my mods were insured. I didn't want to get into an accident and have my LOD rear bumper trashed only to have state farm replace it with a stock bumper. Anyway, she told me off the record, that I better shop around for a new insurer because state farm won't insure modded vehicles. Only cosmetic changes allowed. Anything that affects the suspension, the motor, or add HP will void your insurance. Apparently my jeep became a tipping hazard when I lifted it. And I had a CAI and an off-road exhaust that state farm called racing enhancements. I told her the only thing I can race and win is a house on wheels.

I found a broker, Eagen Insurance Brokers, that found a company willing to insure me. I explained right off the bat that my jeep was modded so they knew exactly what I had. The company that insured me is called AXA. However, the insurance does not cover off-roading. Basically, they can't know I off-road. Any trail damage is my responsibility to fix.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is a great argument for an old, but well-maintained vehicle.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:42 AM
JK Freak

For all the service guys... USAA has a clause that prevents lifts, unless installed by the dealer at time of purchase. And tire cannot be "oversized". Its vauge but its there.

When I shopped around (Tj on 35") Progressive did not have the fine print but currenty stock with USAA.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Super Freak

I am with All State....I gave them a list of all my my mods and they are covered....I called a tonne of insurance companies back 6 or so months ago and everyone told me no...cause it was modified. Now I have the peace of mind that if something was to happen they cant reject my claim due to my Jeep being modified.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKbender
For all the service guys... USAA has a clause that prevents lifts, unless installed by the dealer at time of purchase. And tire cannot be "oversized". Its vauge but its there.

When I shopped around (Tj on 35") Progressive did not have the fine print but currenty stock with USAA.
Shit I'm going to look into this I have USAA....... I've had them for five years now!!!! ?
Old 05-31-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I read another thread about this and some were saying there state farm agent said it was fine but people in diff area said mods weren't. Then someone said its all up to the UNDERWRITER and that the agent themselves probably doesn't know. I know a friend got paid for his aftermarket stuff on a f 150 but he had itemized list and I think he paid an extra fee
Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

To be clear -- assuming anyone can clarify -- is it that the cost to repair mods is not covered, or is it that the entire vehicle is disallowed? Further, are people saying that your personal liability coverage would not apply if you're driving a modified vehicle? I could see why they would not want to pay for an expensive mod, but I don't see how they could say that you were not covered for body damage if someone hits you in a parking lot or that your personal liability is not covered if you injure someone driving a modified vehicle.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi Driver
To be clear -- assuming anyone can clarify -- is it that the cost to repair mods is not covered, or is it that the entire vehicle is disallowed? Further, are people saying that your personal liability coverage would not apply if you're driving a modified vehicle? I could see why they would not want to pay for an expensive mod, but I don't see how they could say that you were not covered for body damage if someone hits you in a parking lot or that your personal liability is not covered if you injure someone driving a modified vehicle.
The whole vehicle is not allowed. I was told that the underwriters would not cover me once they saw my jeep. She told me "under the table" to look for new insurance because if State Farm officially dropped me, that would go against when seeking insurance elsewhere. I know this may sound strange to some you American jeepers. I have found that U.S. insurance companies are more lenient with covering modded vehicles. In the province Ontario, especially in Windsor/Essex County where I live, insurance is PITA!

Last edited by brother ika; 06-01-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matador
I am with All State....I gave them a list of all my my mods and they are covered....I called a tonne of insurance companies back 6 or so months ago and everyone told me no...cause it was modified. Now I have the peace of mind that if something was to happen they cant reject my claim due to my Jeep being modified.
When I read your post my voice goes really deep like Dennis Haysbert, I have All State as well and asked about mods and was told to check back prior to mod to ensure covered but that most common mods would be covered.

Quick Reply: Insurance!!