Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Mobil Super 1000 5W20?

Old 07-26-2008, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mobil Super 1000 5W20?

I found a new Dino oil today. Its Mobil 1 5W20 super 1000. Anyone heard of it yet. Its apparently produced in Canada. I believe it was 14.99 for 5 liters of the stuff. Any opinions? Here is the write up below.

Mobil Super 1000
Engineered in Canada for the latest engine technology, Mobil Super 1000 is the ideal product for newer vehicles or older vehicles in good condition, delivering our best all-round performance. Mobil Super 1000 is formulated to fight engine deposits and wear, and to deliver fuel economy. Recommended for newer vehicles under OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) warranty.

Features

Exceeds ILSAC GF-4 and API SM, the most stringent North American Standards ever set for gasoline engine oils
Formulated with highly effective antiwear additives
Helps make your engine fuel-efficient
Protects your engine from potentially harmful deposits
Delivers excellent low-temperature wear protection
Low engine-oil volatility
Designed in Canada

Benefits

Take advantage of the value of Mobil Super 1000 to protect your engine and your new vehicle warranty
Heavily loaded components, such as your valve train, are protected against scuffing and premature wear
Potent friction modifiers enable Mobil Super 1000 to exceed the latest industry standards for fuel economy
Effective detergent-dispersant additives control deposit growth that could lead to ring sticking and liner scuffing
Exceeds the standards requiring sufficient low-temperature oil flow to critical engine components
Helps protect your exhaust catalyst
Formulated in Canada, providing protection that your engine needs for tough Canadian driving conditions

Recommended for engines requiring: API SM, SL, SJ, SH, SG, ILSAC GF-4,GF-3, GF-2, GF-1 or GM6094M quality levels using gasoline, propane or CNG fuel.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havn't looked into it, but a 5W20 is a little dillute for the temperature differences we have here.

I bet you it's great for winter, but for summer I'd go with something a little more resistant to heat like 5W40.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't we supposed to use 5W20 all the time?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia
Aren't we supposed to use 5W20 all the time?
Yup, that's what Chrysler says in the owner's manual.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Yup, I was half asleep when I answered....but...that's only half the case..

I can't seem to find it, but there is a viscosity chart out there somewhere, and if you check what temperature tolerances a 20 grade vs a 50 grade oil can take you'll see what I mean.

In continued heat, where temperature routinely stays over 30 deg, you'll see everyone use something that's a little thincker than what the manufacturer recommends.

But like you said, the manual recommends that, so for the most part it's fine.

I like the little extra protection offered by synthetics and resistance to thermal breakdown, so I use Motul 5W50.

Quick Reply: Mobil Super 1000 5W20?