Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

OPP today stopped me. Advice...

Old 07-08-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPP today stopped me. Advice...

Hey everyone I had a confrontation with a cop today for being parked at a church off the road I wasn't supposed to be parked out so he came to ask me to move.

Upon seeing me there he started harping on my vehicle . I've driven my jeep lifted as is for over a year with no troubles. Would like a discussion on the following

Front lisences plates

Fender flares

Front lisence plates:

the law states:
9. (3) The number plates for a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle or a motor assisted bicycle, shall be attached to and exposed in a conspicuous position on the front and rear of the motor vehicle. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 628, s. 9 (3).

Currently my lisence plate is zip tied to my warm cover that covers my winch. It's in plain view and is secured. He tried to tell me that he will be watching for me and that I need to bolt it to my bumper because the law states it must be attached to my vehicle. Thoughts?

The fender flare law states:

66.(3) Mudguards

Every motor vehicle and every trailer shall be equipped with mudguards or fenders or other device adequate to reduce effectively the wheel spray or splash of water from the roadway to the rear thereof, unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the motor vehicle or trailer or by a trailer drawn by the motor vehicle.

I have full width fenders and a full width rear bumper. I didnt even have mud on my vehicle. I would say it would effectively reduce the spray if it was raining though.

The officer said "those fenders are made for stock tires and that bumper is made for stock tires" well 1) yes the fenders are made for stock tires but they still reduce the amount of spray and 2) my rear bumper is an aftermarket full width bumper that catches a ton of mud and water in the event my tires spray anything at all.

Pictures below. What would you do if you had been warned? This officer literally said "I'll be watching for you"

I was not argumentive with him and I was calm and rational. I didnt answer him back and I didnt argue at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-286240669.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	476103

Name:	image-1144320941.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	476104

Name:	image-397376784.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	476105
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey,

It all boils down to the officer and his own personal opinion. I have my plate zip tied to the front of my jeep, i run chopped flares, wide tires and a stubby rear bumper. I talked to a few officers a few months back and asked them questions about fender laws and they said as long you are running some sort of fender you'll be alright. But they also said just because they think my jeep is alright as is, it doesn't mean the next officer would. The only real way he could say your jeep is not fit for the road is if he was behind you in the rain and noticed excessive spray. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. He was just being a bully.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get his badge number and report that he is harassing you. Everything looks good. If you get ticketed go fight it in court.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds to me like, his wife won't let him have one, so he's being a prick about yours.

But from the pics, it looks like the fenders cover the tires, almost completely... So, I would bolt on the plate and Jeep on.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

I'm thinking he was trying to bully me
Old 07-08-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Just harping cause he doesn't drive one
Old 07-08-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmmmm as you know we have similar set ups and I've never had a problem my plate is no where close to being bolted to the bumper either. Sucks tho because I've heard of problems down in the States with modded jeeps but not up here. Hope it was just one OPP having a bad day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-173809052.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	476127  
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tires stick way out, stubby bumper, no rear bumper and plate is clipped to my winch and I have never had a problem. Sounds like he was trying to intimidate you perhaps because your a female idk. The plate thing is just bs for him to complain about. Alot of threads over on jeepkings about this sort of stuff. I believe their is a section over there called Ask an Officer. Answers are from a actual cop. Look over some of the threads their you will probably find something related.

Last edited by Biggy; 07-08-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeepwave

Currently my lisence plate is zip tied to my warm cover that covers my winch. It's in plain view and is secured.

What would you do if you had been warned? This officer literally said "I'll be watching for you"
My two cents

I think the license plate might be iffy. Yes it's attached, but zip ties are not as they say "secure".

As for the tires, well I have the same offset you do and I've never had an issue. Those fenders catch 90% of the spray which is way more than any transport truck I've passed in a rainstorm.

And finally, maybe he just likes you. That's why he's keeping an eye on you.

Last edited by CBrNoMore; 07-08-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Junkie

Attached, exposed, bolted and conspicuous....when the strap is out of the way.

I would bolt it up to your bumper, you should be able to do something similar to this vvv

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373342076552.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	476301  

Quick Reply: OPP today stopped me. Advice...