Notices
Central Canada If you live in the Ontario or Quebec area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

What next?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JKU Rubicon
I tried the 35" for 6 months, but I sold the tires last week

Back to 33" KM2

Why?

- More torque off-road and on the road with 33" (I have 4.1)

- Did not see a real difference off-road with 35" (even in deep mud)

- Steering more heavy with 35"

- Too much money for gas with 35"

I read a lot about 35", I tried it and didn't like it

IMHO, lockers are very important, especially in mud and deep snow.

Like Goldorack said: a winch is also very important
this guy is crazy. 33s are a waste of time plain and simple. i made the mistake of buying them and upgraded after less than a year to 35s. the gas savings/expense is limited that shouldnt even be a factor if you have the money to mod out your ride. lockers will help but there are guys out here that go just as far as the rest of us with unlocked saharas on aired down 35s. the only issue that i can see with your rig and 35s is going to be the driveability with your gear set.... probably 3.73s is what your running ??? obviously a winch is a given.

sidenote: is this the guy formerly know as "jk freedom" or something like that .... your rig looks the same (profile details, poser shots in driveways), your threads are the same (were you actually serious with the duct tape thread ??? https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Why-duct-tape), im just suprised you dont have that same avatar as before.

Last edited by geebee; 07-05-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Lift and 35's are the way to go! get a 2.5" lift from TF or RK, and a decent set of tires, I love the toyo's.

but then with 35's you have to start thinking of a rear tire carrier....its never ending as i've learned rather quickly.

also as todd said a snorkle is a good idea, cheap insurance!

good to see a girl interested in modding her own jeep! I need to find myself one of those

btw, have you gotten those seat covers yet??
Old 07-06-2010, 04:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by geebee
sidenote: is this the guy formerly know as "jk freedom" or something like that .... your rig looks the same (profile details, poser shots in driveways), your threads are the same (were you actually serious with the duct tape thread ??? https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Why-duct-tape), im just suprised you dont have that same avatar as before.
This is not the guy formerly known as "jk freedom" this is a girl from Ontario. I am sorry for the poser shots that was right when I got her, she hadnt seen how much fun it was to go offroad yet

Originally Posted by 07Rubi2dr
Lift and 35's are the way to go! get a 2.5" lift from TF or RK, and a decent set of tires, I love the toyo's.

but then with 35's you have to start thinking of a rear tire carrier....its never ending as i've learned rather quickly.

also as todd said a snorkle is a good idea, cheap insurance!

good to see a girl interested in modding her own jeep! I need to find myself one of those

btw, have you gotten those seat covers yet??
STILL havent got the seat covers supposedly they are in peterborough and I have to go pick them up before Friday... oh well it will be a nice drive. A snorkle is one of my many plans. Thanks for all the great replys. I will let you guys know when I choose so you can all help me put it in

Todd when will you be getting back? there are so many I have yet to meet. But not to worry next run I will be there... promise!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

Thanks Todd for offering my services.... Ya I've been known to install a lift or 2 and I could be bribed to install another one.

Also check out Zone Off Road (same components as BDS) but allot lower cost has nice stuff.

What you need to also think about is what other options, upgrades, weight are you planning to hang from your JK. i.e. skids, bumpers, winches, tire carrier, the 35's are allot heavier then the 33's or stockers that's for sure. Depending on what you add you might find your 4" becomes a 3", a 3" lift becomes 2", a 2" lift becomes 1".

Unless you want to spend on a "New" lift is find a guy like Captain Hook that just pulled his OME HD coils and Shocks off his Rubi Unlimitied. You put the OME HD Unlimitied coils on your jeep you'll get 3" of lift easy. 4Bummers took my OME HD coils and I put them on her 2 door Rubi and is running 34's. Morticon did that on his 2 door X and is running 35's. Both of them got 3-3.5"s of lift.

You also have to remember once you get into 35's and bigger you're also now have to start thinking about cutting pinch seems, trimming bumpers & etc... You also need to remember each tire maker is a little different in size so a Mickey MTZ 35, isn't gonna be the same size as a Toyo MT or even a GY MT/R...

No matter what you do or pick you can never go wrong mod'ing your jeep out...
Old 07-06-2010, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Like the others have said, it really depends on how much coin you have to spend at the moment. With 35's and new rims (if you don't use spacers) and a lift, you're looking at an easy $2500+. If that's too rich at the moment, I'd go for a winch, it's saved my ass more than once and will help get you out of places while to save up to do the lift and 35's right the first time.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Looking at your signature, your build is coming along real nice ... quick disconnects, skid plates etc. IMO your next purchase should be a decent quality winch with a synthetic line.

Without a winch, on the trail you'll likely run with vehicles in front and behind you that have winches (if they have them). Most of the time that will be OK, but if you're on a tight trail it is very hard for the vehicle in front of you to turn around and winch you over an obstacle.

In cases of high centering / hung diff / off-camber moment, it would not be advisable to be pulled with a strap by the vehicle in front of you (safety, risk of vehicle damage). Whatever lockers/lift/tires combo you will end up running, you will inevitably need a winch at some point. So better to get that sooner, rather than later.

And with a big yellow hook, they look cool too.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Jenna, you have the right idea with wanting to go straight to a coil lift. In my opinion it doesn't make sense to go budget boost, then upgrade after that, it ends up costing more money in the long run. If you want to lift it, do it right the first time, I've learned that from my own experience. I started with a small coil lift and 35's and quickly got tired of it so upgraded to a full lift kit and 37's. That being said, my old lift was an Old Man Emu lift, and it was fantastic. You will probably get about 3" of lift out of it depending on the weight on your jeep and what coils you choose. But I would highly recommend them. If you have any more questions let me know.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jenna
This is not the guy formerly known as "jk freedom" this is a girl from Ontario. I am sorry for the poser shots that was right when I got her, she hadnt seen how much fun it was to go offroad yet

STILL havent got the seat covers supposedly they are in peterborough and I have to go pick them up before Friday... oh well it will be a nice drive. A snorkle is one of my many plans. Thanks for all the great replys. I will let you guys know when I choose so you can all help me put it in

Todd when will you be getting back? there are so many I have yet to meet. But not to worry next run I will be there... promise!
He was talking about the guy who suggested 33's, not you Jenna

I will be back in Dec, I hope. We will see. Not even coming home for leave, I just bought our tickets yesterday for Vietnam in October.....on a side note 1L of draft there is 3000 Vietnamese Dong. $1 US is 20000 Vietnamese Dong.....LMAO....so I may not come back form there at all

I imagine i will get to meet you come spring. I am easy to pick out of a crowd....lol
Old 07-06-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jenna
I know who u are Jenna. I was talking about "JKU Rubicon"
Old 07-06-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geebee
this guy is crazy. 33s are a waste of time plain and simple. i made the mistake of buying them and upgraded after less than a year to 35s. the gas savings/expense is limited that shouldnt even be a factor if you have the money to mod out your ride. lockers will help but there are guys out here that go just as far as the rest of us with unlocked saharas on aired down 35s. the only issue that i can see with your rig and 35s is going to be the driveability with your gear set.... probably 3.73s is what your running ??? obviously a winch is a given.

Grant....33's really are not a waste of time for some people. Yes, I know you have tried to get me to sway to the darkside and get 35's...but in my situation, I would love a set of 35's but my gear setting of 3:73 is really stopping me.

I am very hesistent to go with 35's for daily driveability due to not only my added weight of accessories (bumpers/winch), off-road torque but also, maintain highway speeds on mountain passes. Yes, i do have a superchips, but with the added weight of bumpers and winch the jeep feels like it's back to stock power again with my 3:73 and 33's.

Another reason 33's work..... 35's add height....and my wife & small kids already complain about the OME HD Coil spring lift on 33's as they say it's a pain in the butt to get inside... However, I am working on saving a budget to get 4:88's gearing and waiting for my kids to grow a little more then make the plunge to the darkside and get 35's.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 07-06-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: What next?