Notices
Cooking & Grilling General discussion forum regarding kitchen cooking and BAR-B-Q Grilling.

Electric smoker--anyone?

Old 06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two words, GREEN EGG. Their pricey but well worth it, I run a BBQ joint down in kentucky and I wouldn't cook on anything else at home, also lifetime warranty. Charcoal all the way. It has an electric charcoal lighter included if your wanting electric lol !!!

Last edited by TommyTnutz; 06-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hudweiser
CookShack electric smokers. Made in Oklahoma. They make them in all sizes. Hardly use my Hasty Bake anymore.
1+ on the cookshack. They are very nice smokers!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-07-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also use cookshack. They are built like a safe. Very high quality.

I can put in large pork shoulders or brisket before bed and have perfectly cooked meat for dinner the next day.

Very cool.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

masterbuilt electric smoker For me. Nothing wrong with it, use it for Turkey and Salmon and both have turned out great. Nice and slow and not too much heat, all depends on what you are cooking. Right kind of wood chips for the different meats. In fact doing some Salmon on Sat. about 11#. It does great even when it's about 20 outside. If you make a mistake, no problem that is how everyone learns.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

I own 3 smokers. The smallest is a Bradley Original, with the automatic puck feeder. I bought it at basspro shop. I use it for salmon and other pieces of small meats. I also use it for cold smoking cheese. It is very durable and has lasted 8 years so far. The more you use it the better it gets.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Masterbuilt propane that I picked up at Basspro a couple years back. Very pleased with the quality and would highly recommend them.

Bought a good book on smoking and having fun trying different recipe's.

Still having trouble cooking the perfect ribs though. But that's all part of the fun I guess.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Northerner
I have a Masterbuilt propane that I picked up at Basspro a couple years back. Very pleased with the quality and would highly recommend them.

Bought a good book on smoking and having fun trying different recipe's.

Still having trouble cooking the perfect ribs though. But that's all part of the fun I guess.
I find ribs cant take a lot of smoke so I tend to smoke them for no more then two hours spritzing with apple juice after an hour. Then I remove and place in a foil pan adding a little apple juice . Seal the pan well with tin foil and put in oven or back in smoker for three hours. Prepare your sauce. After three hours remove from oven or smoker and sauce up the ribs . Back into the oven for half hour to one hour basting three times in that time frame. Works for me.

Last edited by Biggy; 06-27-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

CookShack! Just a few 2 inch water soaked blocks of wood and pork shoulder with rub. I can sleep like a baby and have pork for lunch.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

I just started doing some smoking last year on my good old trusty Weber Charcoal grill. It is suprisingly easy to keep the temp where i want it but after seeing my soon to be father in law and his electric smoker i think ia m leanign that route. I would only use it for bigger meats with longer cook times though purely for the convenience factor. His has the cup thing that holds the wood chips that provides the smoke.

If i am just doing soem ribs i will stick with the Weber as they don't take all that long. The other thing is i have found that if you smoke the meats for to long the meat takes on a different flavor of to much smoke and i am not a fan of the darker color so i pretty much wrap everything and the smoker really turns into a low and slow cooker at that point.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Biggy
I find ribs cant take a lot of smoke so I tend to smoke them for no more then two hours spritzing with apple juice after an hour. Then I remove and place in a foil pan adding a little apple juice . Seal the pan well with tin foil and put in oven or back in smoker for three hours. Prepare your sauce. After three hours remove from oven or smoker and sauce up the ribs . Back into the oven for half hour to one hour basting three times in that time frame. Works for me.
Yeah maybe I'm doing too much smoke. I find that they taste too much like ham. And a bit on the dry side, all this with a rub and regular mop. Although I also think that maybe opening the door too much is causing it to dry out somewhat.

Will try your suggestions this weekend, thanks!

Quick Reply: Electric smoker--anyone?