Need some help from Aussie members - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices
Down Under If you live in Australia or New Zealand and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Need some help from Aussie members

Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Need some help from Aussie members

Guys, I'm plannin' a trip Down Under for myself, wife, and 3 kids. We're looking at coming down for 3 nights & 4 days or so sometime between 3 - 20 April.

We're planning on staying in Sydney most, if not all, of the time. I just have a few questions.

1 - Any hotels that we should look into first? I don't need a 5 star hotel, but it'd be nice to have a decent place to stay that's well kept and kid friendly.

2 - Do I need an international driver's license to rent/operate a vehicle there?

3 - Is it even necessary to drive if we're just doing the tourist thing in Sydney?

4 - Is there anywhere to rent a JK?

5 - Any suggestions of "can't miss" sites in/around Sydney?

I'm sure there are more, but I can't think right now.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi jeeperjkj,

You'll love Sydney - unfortunately I don't live there so I can't put you guys up for accommodation but to answer your questions:

1) There are heaps of hotels in Sydney but to get yourself a good deal I would look here:
http://hotels.lastminute.com.au/acco...&CID=LMAUH3721

2) Yes - a U.S drivers licence is not valid, however an International Licence is. Remember - we also drive on the other side ofthe road so if it is your first time - take you time!!

3) You can easliy get around by public transport, but there are things to do around Sydney too which a car is great for.

4) Not that I have ever heard of - the closest is a Rav 4 or Nissan Patrol

5) The Sydney Harbour Bridge Walk (You have to be 10yrs+ and over 1.2m tall)
http://www.bridgeclimb.com/?mt_typ=9...FQ_DbwodJlxnpw

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.

JKohn.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JKohn View Post
Hi jeeperjkj,

You'll love Sydney - unfortunately I don't live there so I can't put you guys up for accommodation but to answer your questions:

1) There are heaps of hotels in Sydney but to get yourself a good deal I would look here:
http://hotels.lastminute.com.au/acco...&CID=LMAUH3721
Thanks, I'll look into that site.

2) Yes - a U.S drivers licence is not valid, however an International Licence is. Remember - we also drive on the other side ofthe road so if it is your first time - take you time!!
I'll definitely look into the int'l license then. I've driven on the LH side of the road before. Took a short vacation to England while stationed in Germany. It was definitely weird at first, but I got used to it quickly.

3) You can easliy get around by public transport, but there are things to do around Sydney too which a car is great for.
That's about as much as I figured. That's good to know, though, in case the rental falls through.

4) Not that I have ever heard of - the closest is a Rav 4 or Nissan Patrol

5) The Sydney Harbour Bridge Walk (You have to be 10yrs+ and over 1.2m tall)
http://www.bridgeclimb.com/?mt_typ=9...FQ_DbwodJlxnpw
Unfortunately, I'll have my 7, 5, and 2 year olds with me. Guess that's off the todo list.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.

JKohn.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Need some help from Aussie members

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: