Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Albany, NY Jeepers

Old 08-20-2008, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Albany, NY Jeepers

Hey guys, i know theres a similar thread somewhere but i cant seem to find it. I'm looking for all the Albany area jeepers. maybe post some pics of your rig so we know who we are seeing on the roads, but most importantly i NEED some new trails. the couple that i know of are getting extremely old. someone in the area has to know of a couple good public trails. i know the area is tough but i have a hard time believing there arent any trails. they dont even have to be that challenging, just some place to drive a jeep that isnt a paved road. I have no problem with a scenic trail ride.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm Ryan, from Ballston Spa also. Where are the few trails that you know of? I am looking for something fun but nothing crazy, I still have stock everything... and no winch. Are the trails private or public?

Here's my JK:

Old 08-22-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

nice! i think i've seen you around town. well i have a loop through the woods behind my house which is only fun after it rains, theres a few over in malta but the legality is questionable so i havent been riding them. right now im working with a friend to clear some trials on over 90 acres of land so by next sumer we hope to have several loops.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys, the closest legal public trail is up near lake george..

I posted up that we should have a local meet and greet, but Ive been busy to set anything up

I have a steel blue unlimited with a window banner "Adirondack Jeeps"
Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance you could let me know where this public trail is? I've searched online and can't find it mentioned.

Thanks,
Ryan

Originally Posted by badron5
Hey guys, the closest legal public trail is up near lake george..

I posted up that we should have a local meet and greet, but Ive been busy to set anything up

I have a steel blue unlimited with a window banner "Adirondack Jeeps"
Old 08-26-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

i assume the trail you are referring to is BHR. i havent been on it but have an idea where it is. just found out about it recently on adirondackjeeps.com if you could PM me some specifics on its location id really appreciate it. i agree about the meet and greet, but i too have been very busy and will only be busier after this week as classes start up again. but if there is one i'll do my best to make it. btw adirondack jeeps is an awesome site and a good club to join seeing as they have access to a lot of trails that are closed to the public, and know the locations of most if not all of the local public trails.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a steel blue stock 2dr, i live Averill Park, i'd be interested in meeeting up one of these weekends.

Ron, do you know what the deal is with the trails below those power lines by vallenty gravel off of 66?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XJ Kid 89
i assume the trail you are referring to is BHR. i havent been on it but have an idea where it is. just found out about it recently on adirondackjeeps.com if you could PM me some specifics on its location id really appreciate it. i agree about the meet and greet, but i too have been very busy and will only be busier after this week as classes start up again. but if there is one i'll do my best to make it. btw adirondack jeeps is an awesome site and a good club to join seeing as they have access to a lot of trails that are closed to the public, and know the locations of most if not all of the local public trails.
Yep BHR, its a stock trail. But be prepared for slight damage because its quite rocky, my sidesteps have large scrapes in them. Having an experienced spotter is highly recommended for stock vehicles, I dinged my oil pan from trying an obstacle without a spotter.

I am a member of adirondackjeeps (badron5 there also) and you are correct about them knowing some trails, both public and private that are legal to wheel. The only problem is we dont disclose the locations of these trails publicly because we are losing trails left and right from irresponsible wheelers trashing the trails and various land use issues. But Im hoping that by October Ill be less busy and can set up a meet and greet.

Last edited by badron5; 09-10-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Duma3421
I've got a steel blue stock 2dr, i live Averill Park, i'd be interested in meeeting up one of these weekends.

Ron, do you know what the deal is with the trails below those power lines by vallenty gravel off of 66?
If you are talking about power line trails then you would have to get permission from the land owner to use it, unless you have some really good connections with the power company then they will probably say no.

That goes for private land too, if you can get permission from the owner to wheel on it, other then that you are very limited here in NY. Makes me wish I was out west...
Old 09-09-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

ahhh, the powerlines, i have a couple friends that ride there.... got some descent trails in berlin on comstock hollow....part of it is state land and is open to whomever and part is owned by cowees (local saw mill) i'm up there all the time, have never had any problems, signs only say "no atv's" it's some good offroading, can go in nearly any direction and run parts of the taconic ridge. it's the highest elevation in Rennselaer County, has some good views of the Taconic valley, Berkshires and the Green Mountains since it is right on the border of the three states. you can head a bit further north to petersburgh pass too. as for the stock steel blue in averill park, i have a stock steel blue and i'm from Stephentown/Berlin....maybe we'll run into each other.

Quick Reply: Albany, NY Jeepers