Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Chiming In from Southern WV

Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chiming In from Southern WV

All, just wanted to drop by and say hi from Charleston/Boone County, WV. I'm new to Wranglers, but not to Jeeps (had an '89 Cherokee Wagoneer with the Oh So Sweet Fake Wood Grain Paneling) or offroad. Already have 35's, some decent (but not the final) bumpers and a small lift (all came on the vehicle but the dealer was unsure about the exact amount of lift or manufacturer). I've got to mount a CB in it soon for work, so I'm working on an overhead mount rack complete with switches and such for future lights, lockers, etc. As I get through it, I'll post pics and such. By the way, I can't remember where I saw it on the board, but a shout out to the OTRATTW guys! They have the sickest looking switches out there!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm down at Virginia Tech. So if you know of any places to ride in southern WV definately let me know!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm a Hokie alumni. I used to 4 wheel quite a bit down in the NRV. My favorite place was the fire tower out near Eggleston (the town, not the dorm). Have you been out there yet?
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've never wheeed there but I ate dinner out there a couple weeks ago haha
Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Coming up from the 460 side isn't bad. I did it several times successfully in a 2wd Ranger. One time in the same truck was unsuccessful (and stupid bc I was alone, at night, and with snow and ice on the ground). Now going off the back side from the tower is another story. There were several mud holes where I saw water come over the hood of an F-250 with 4" of lift and 35's. Keep in mind the last time I was there was 14 years ago. But the view, especially at night, from the base of the tower is amazing.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to have to find that. Sounds fun
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just get you a 7.5 minute quadrangle sheet. I believe it's a forest service road and both it and the tower should be on it. I'll check google when I get a chance and see if I can get lat/long for the entrance.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, so I managed to find it on Google, but I'm not sure exactly where the pavement ends and the dirt begins. The road to the fire tower is State Route 714. Believe it or not, the name of it is Butt Mountain. Just search Google Maps and it'll take you right to it. Wicked views!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Haha that's awesome. But yeah I will definitely check that out. Thanks for letting me know

Quick Reply: Chiming In from Southern WV