Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

GWNF Camping Info?

Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWNF Camping Info?

Sometime in late September I would like to go camping at GW. I went with the local club for a beginners run at GW and my passengers and I all loved it out there and figured September would be good weather for camping.

Personally, Ive done some wussy camping before with the vehicle no further then 100 ft from the camp site and no longer then 36-48 hours and my other passengers have about the same experience.
Two of the other potential campers coming along are former fancy pants boyscouts and have done longer endeavours in the sticks.

Im not looking for something super hard core like living off the land(Dont know if thats even allowed at GWNF) but we just want to go have a good time in the woods with some friends around the camp fire and cook a few meals and such. Fishing would be a nice activity if thats available, catch and release of course and with VA permits.

Ideally I may try to hit up the trails again(or other ones recommended) that we traveled previously if I can find them

So I ask of those knowledgeable, what kind of information do I need to go on such a trip. To my understanding there is no required camping permits but I do understand there are specific camping grounds? However, I havent a clue where those sites are or where to get that info. I found the GWNF website but theres so much information on there. Could someone just point me to where I need to be?

I may just end up poking someones brain at one of the upcoming local club M&Gs
Thats all I can think of for now but any information at all would be very helpful and very appreciated at this point.

I just wanted to ask to be on the safe side rather then randomly setting up camp on the side of the mountain illegally and do things Im not supposed to. Ive heard from a person or two that thats pretty much what they did and that sounds kinda fishy to me.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Ho
Sometime in late September I would like to go camping at GW. I went with the local club for a beginners run at GW and my passengers and I all loved it out there and figured September would be good weather for camping.

Personally, Ive done some wussy camping before with the vehicle no further then 100 ft from the camp site and no longer then 36-48 hours and my other passengers have about the same experience.
Two of the other potential campers coming along are former fancy pants boyscouts and have done longer endeavours in the sticks.

Im not looking for something super hard core like living off the land(Dont know if thats even allowed at GWNF) but we just want to go have a good time in the woods with some friends around the camp fire and cook a few meals and such. Fishing would be a nice activity if thats available, catch and release of course and with VA permits.

Ideally I may try to hit up the trails again(or other ones recommended) that we traveled previously if I can find them

So I ask of those knowledgeable, what kind of information do I need to go on such a trip. To my understanding there is no required camping permits but I do understand there are specific camping grounds? However, I havent a clue where those sites are or where to get that info. I found the GWNF website but theres so much information on there. Could someone just point me to where I need to be?

I may just end up poking someones brain at one of the upcoming local club M&Gs
Thats all I can think of for now but any information at all would be very helpful and very appreciated at this point.

I just wanted to ask to be on the safe side rather then randomly setting up camp on the side of the mountain illegally and do things Im not supposed to. Ive heard from a person or two that thats pretty much what they did and that sounds kinda fishy to me.
I'll have to ask some of the guys in my club that are more of the camping type about this, and maybe someone here will either confirm or deny this, but in GWNF, its not so much where you "can" camp, its where you "can't" camp. If I understand it, there are places that you are just not allowed, and everywhere else is ok.

If you go out on any of the trails, especially the ones leading up to flag pole knob, there are camp sites off the side of the trail all over the place that are perfectly legal. Also, the best spot for camping (and I’ve done this) is to get up to the top of flag pole and camp there, right at the peak.

Then again, if you want to get some fishing in, the best spot would be this one site just past the first river crossing on Skidmore Fork Rd, it'll be on the left if someone hasn’t already gotten it before you get there.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very Nice! Thank you for the info. Im still sorting through their website as we speak. Lots of info, just trying to find the stuff I want
Old 08-18-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

FWIW, I happen to have snapped a random pic along the trail to Flag Pole knob on one trip...I was also thinking about camping spolts... so just to give you an idea of what some of the areas look like...

Quick Reply: GWNF Camping Info?