Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.
View Poll Results: Stoney Gap or Dry River
Dry River
50.00%
Stoney Gap
50.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

March 14th Stoney Gap Run.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Amy and I would like to get in on this. I've never been with a group before, so you'll have to bear with me and my inexperience.

We just went to Shoe Creek last weekend. It was pretty icy getting to the top of the trail, but quite dry on the down side. Pretty easy, low water crossings. I didn't do the harder cut since Im not "armered up". The hike to Crabtree falls is almost exactly 1 mile each way. It puts you at the top and we didn't continue to the bottom, so maybe that's the extra half mile that Atomic talks about.

Anyway, since this is my first time with you guys, what is the normal itenerary? Stop for lunch on the trail? What's this talk of a cookout? Do you camp or drive home? What time do you usually head home?

And PirateKitty, Im coming from St. Mary's, so let me know what your departure time and place are and maybe we can convoy.

Looking forward to it,

Rob
Old 02-26-2009, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Barring anything unforseen, Joan and I will go. We are in Texas now at her Dr's, so obviously allot on our upcoming events judge from this visit.

I think we will come down the night before and stay at the Hampton Inn in Port Royal or Harrisonburg.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sailr4
And PirateKitty, Im coming from St. Mary's, so let me know what your departure time and place are and maybe we can convoy.
Sure no problem!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PirateKitty
Alex, What are those doors called?
I think they are the OR-Fab doors...

Hey Amy and I would like to get in on this. I've never been with a group before, so you'll have to bear with me and my inexperience.

We just went to Shoe Creek last weekend. It was pretty icy getting to the top of the trail, but quite dry on the down side. Pretty easy, low water crossings. I didn't do the harder cut since Im not "armered up". The hike to Crabtree falls is almost exactly 1 mile each way. It puts you at the top and we didn't continue to the bottom, so maybe that's the extra half mile that Atomic talks about.

Anyway, since this is my first time with you guys, what is the normal itenerary? Stop for lunch on the trail? What's this talk of a cookout? Do you camp or drive home? What time do you usually head home?

Looking forward to it,

Rob

no worries about being inexperience, we'll get you over what ever obstacles comes our way on the trail.

and yeah, i'd imagine shoe creek being a little slick. its normally a damp trail. Hopefully it'll be thawed out by the time this trip gets here. stoney run is mostly a dry trail. once you are up the hill, there’s a few nice mud holes.

And yeah, the extra .5 mile is the hike down to the bottom of the falls. the path takes you way out along the ridge and back again in order to work your way down. its easy going, but coming back is a hike, because its all up hill.

and our normal plan of attack is to meet up, hit the trails, and around noonish we'll stop at a good opening and have lunch, and then finish the trail(s). so we'll probably get to the clearing at the top of the hill climb on stoney run and have lunch there, or we can go all the way to the end of the trail and have lunch at the overlook. we'll make that call when we get there.

as for the cookout, Zach mentioned having a small cookout after the trail run and get some hotdogs, hamburgers, etc going and have dinner.

and as for time frames... well, we'll probably be on the trail around 10:30 to 11 and with an average number of stops for pictures along the way, we could be done with stoney run around 3-4ish, and that's with lunch. shoe creek is another trail that can be done in a few hours. not as much navigation needed on that trail tho.

hope that answers everything.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by joeglock
count me in and i might bring a group of marines with me.
awesome! i want to see that supercharger.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atomicmecha
I think they are the OR-Fab doors...

no worries about being inexperience, we'll get you over what ever obstacles comes our way on the trail.

and yeah, i'd imagine shoe creek being a little slick. its normally a damp trail. Hopefully it'll be thawed out by the time this trip gets here. stoney run is mostly a dry trail. once you are up the hill, there’s a few nice mud holes.

And yeah, the extra .5 mile is the hike down to the bottom of the falls. the path takes you way out along the ridge and back again in order to work your way down. its easy going, but coming back is a hike, because its all up hill.

and our normal plan of attack is to meet up, hit the trails, and around noonish we'll stop at a good opening and have lunch, and then finish the trail(s). so we'll probably get to the clearing at the top of the hill climb on stoney run and have lunch there, or we can go all the way to the end of the trail and have lunch at the overlook. we'll make that call when we get there.

as for the cookout, Zach mentioned having a small cookout after the trail run and get some hotdogs, hamburgers, etc going and have dinner.

and as for time frames... well, we'll probably be on the trail around 10:30 to 11 and with an average number of stops for pictures along the way, we could be done with stoney run around 3-4ish, and that's with lunch. shoe creek is another trail that can be done in a few hours. not as much navigation needed on that trail tho.

hope that answers everything.
10:30 - 11 start? Kinda late isint it? Considering we usually roll out in time to make it home during daylight hours. Can we rethink the start time?

This run isnt gonna be like Green Ridge is it?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
10:30 - 11 start? Kinda late isint it? Considering we usually roll out in time to make it home during daylight hours. Can we rethink the start time?

This run isnt gonna be like Green Ridge is it?
This is a long journey for us SOMD folks. Last time around, with Stoney Run and Shoe creek it was damn near a 24 hour journey. Left at 5-530 Saturday morning and got home around 1-2 Sunday morning. Even if we don't run Shoe Creek we still wouldn't make it home with daylight.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Yea, takes me about 4 hours to Shoe Creek and that's WITHOUT stops. If we don't go down the night before, we will probably bail on Shoe Creek (since we just did it) and maybe get home by 9 or 10.

Anyone bringing a dog? My dog has never been on "bumps". Im debating if I want to "break him in". And before you ask, he's a beagle type dog. Tall beagle or short fox hound. LOL
Old 02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Yea, takes me about 4 hours to Shoe Creek and that's WITHOUT stops. If we don't go down the night before, we will probably bail on Shoe Creek (since we just did it) and maybe get home by 9 or 10.

Anyone bringing a dog? My dog has never been on "bumps". Im debating if I want to "break him in". And before you ask, he's a beagle type dog. Tall beagle or short fox hound. LOL
One of the guys we usually wheel with from another club brings his yellow lab Gracie all the time and as far as I can tell she doesn't mind it at all.

I agree with Chris I think we should hit the trail head no later then 9:30 or 1000. It is a long drive for everybody (maybe except me) and I don't want to be on the trail to long into the night.

Rich hopefully everything is going good down in Texas it's been so long since I've seen you and Joan haha

For everybody that hasen't seen it all the vital info is in the second post on the first page. I'd like to meet at the 7-11 on Draft Ave. at around 9 fueled up and ready to go.

I've updated the list:

People Coming

Me & Steph
PirateKitty & Hubby
Riverzend
Atomic
Sailr4
JoeGlock

Maybe's

rnjstehl

Last edited by lc619fr; 02-26-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Thumbs up

yeah... its a long haul to get there, to make it any eariler we'd all have to get there the night before...

and i really don't think this is green ridge... way better then green ridge. its alot like dry river, maybe not the same constant challange, but its still just as much fun i think.

and no comparing it to Rausch... there is a reason it cost money to get into rausch and GWNF is free.

EDIT:

Originally Posted by lc619fr
One of the guys we usually wheel with from another club brings his yellow lab Gracie all the time and as far as I can tell she doesn't mind it at all.

I agree with Chris I think we should hit the trail head no later then 9:30 or 1000. It is a long drive for everybody (maybe except me) and I don't want to be on the trail to long into the night.

Rich hopefully everything is going good down in Texas it's been so long since I've seen you and Joan haha

For everybody that hasen't seen it all the vital info is in the second post on the first page. I'd like to meet at the 7-11 on Draft Ave. at around 9 fueled up and ready to go.

I've updated the list:

People Coming

Me & Steph
PirateKitty & Hubby
Riverzend
Atomic
Sailr4
JoeGlock

Maybe's

rnjstehl

ok, 9:00 it is... then anyone that wants to meet at the sheetz, we'll have to meet at 7:00 and leave no later then 7:30.

Last edited by atomicmecha; 02-26-2009 at 12:45 PM.

Quick Reply: March 14th Stoney Gap Run.