Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

PA Inspection - Failed!!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
Suggest taking it to a Jeep Dealer especially one that installs after market parts or I would call Jeff Daniels and ask where they might recommend taking. Personally I would take up Nangulator on his offer!

P.s. I'll refer to you as being "NOT STUPID" so that should cancel out one of the other 2 times your were referred to as being
Thanks for the bump,I do some work for a few forum members and they all know if nothing else, I am honest
Old 12-13-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on nangulator he does the work on mine. There shop does a great job! Someone you can trust.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by KMacJKPA
Yeah, I guess I am "STUPID" thanks for pointing that out for the second time. The point of my thread was to get help and also help out other PA wheelers who weren't aware of this 3 inch fender issue.
don't take it the wrong way, not trying to diss ya ... sorry if it came off that way.

places like Pep have minion workers who are told if there is ANY question ... even if it could be legit and they just don't know the rules well enough to make the call, to fail them. it's all a legal thing to cover their own arses against stupid employees. a modified vehicle of any kind needs to be taken somewhere that has a certified individual making the calls.

but yeah, can't go 3" past factory ... bushwackers are 100% legal on any model of jeep.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problem, I was pissed off yesterday from dealing with them. I should have taken it to Nangulator in the first place.

Here's the kicker, my son recently graduated from auto/diesel school in Ohio, he's been working up there for a few months . He had a good job with a small company, but didn't like living up there. He's only been home about a week and was going to start looking for a job in a week or two. So, last night he comes home and says he found a job. I say great - where? He says Pep Boys, there opening a new store out by the airport.

I know this isn't where he wants to work, but he doesn't want to sit around.

Nangulator, any openings at your shop???
Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KMacJKPA
No problem, I was pissed off yesterday from dealing with them. I should have taken it to Nangulator in the first place.

Here's the kicker, my son recently graduated from auto/diesel school in Ohio, he's been working up there for a few months . He had a good job with a small company, but didn't like living up there. He's only been home about a week and was going to start looking for a job in a week or two. So, last night he comes home and says he found a job. I say great - where? He says Pep Boys, there opening a new store out by the airport.

I know this isn't where he wants to work, but he doesn't want to sit around.

Nangulator, any openings at your shop???
Not at the moment,all of us at my shop feel very fortunate to be employed, with all of the small shop and dealership closings there are a "boat load" of un-employed techs in are area So I would tell your son to take any job that he can get
Old 12-13-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
you need the PA code... it cannot have more than a 3" fender extension. you do not have fender extensions. they are the fenders. they're part of the body. stock they're wider than 3".
I got that book with all of those specs and codes somewhere in my toolbox
Old 12-14-2009, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

you need the PA code... it cannot have more than a 3" fender extension. you do not have fender extensions. they are the fenders. they're part of the body. stock they're wider than 3".
way to confirm post discussion

nice link!

got me some nightly reading
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i spent HOURS reading through all of that last summer after being hassled for driving around without my doors off. In PA, the jist of it all is......

Tires can't stick out past the fenders
Front bumper can't be wider than stock.....no mention of shorter, so Stubbies are legal
Must have OEM style mirrors on both sides to be legal
Must have OEM style latching doors installed to be legal
Any lights higher than the headlights must have covers
Any aux backup lights must be wired to shut off in drive/gear or with an illuminated indication that they are on

Thats off the top of my head. I have everything I thought would pertain to my Jeep printed out and highlighted while I was reading about it all. Shit will make your head spin.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9/10 cops down here don't give a crap as long as you aren't doing something stupid......but we have a few local yocal regional guys that must get a chubby for harassing guys in Jeeps. Convenient that it happened right down the road from Mount Zion Offroad's shop that usually has at least 3-4 Jeeps sitting around with no doors .

The guy that came after me did it on a Friday afternoon, through a busy intersection with lights and sirens going full bonkers like he was out to save the world. He blows through the red light and starts coming up the road behind me so I get the hell off the road thinking he has something important going on. Nope.......he whips in behind me. I'm sitting there on a busy road with cars buzzing past us (Me, my Fiance, her daughter, and daughters friend) while he starts reading me the riot act about how its illegal to drive without the doors on, and no shop would inspect it without the doors installed. I then started asking him very precise questions about how the law was written and if he had a copy of it with him? He just kept regurgitating the same "its illegal, and won't pass inspection!". He told me it MUST have OEM latching doors like what was installed from the factory. He then tells me that I could get away with aftermarket tube style safari doors.........um, so which is it buddy? That blew his credibility and I politely brought that to his attention. He finally got so flustered that he ended up pretty much yelling at me "Do you want a ticket, or a written warning?!!". I said "I'd like a warning please.". He sent me on my way with a warning that I was "officially in their system", and if it happened again I would be issued a ticket.

I'm always very respectful to officers......they have enough crap to deal with on a daily basis, but this guy went WAY out his way to bust my balls so I felt obligated to at least see what kind of backbone he had.

I still pop the doors and top every chance I get.

Last edited by OoPEZoO; 12-30-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Besides how poorly it is written in the inspection manual, about running no doors, I asked are state inspection auditor about this last summer (2008). We both read over this section and what we came up with is that it is legal to run doors off as long as there is a windshield mounte rear view mirror, a drivers side view mirror and seat belts are worn by all occupants. He is a re-tired Pa state troper (28yrs) and he knows the motor vehicle codes very well, he did tell me that some local police will try to hassle you about it, but really they should not even give you a written warning.

Quick Reply: PA Inspection - Failed!!