Notices
East Coast If you live in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, DC, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Trail Ride - Caspars Run for 06-28-08

Old 05-20-2008, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Trail Ride - Caspars Run for 06-28-08

Hey folks! I知 getting this out here now while I知 thinking of it. I've been itching to go to Casparis again, and would like to do a day trip there late in June which would give us a long time span of day light to wheel in. I'd like to do a few of the loops that are there and maybe, just maybe, do the back route into Hawkins Hollow to get to the old train bridge. But that's a big maybe.

Anyway, got 2 meeting spots. The first is for those that are coming from VA and MD that wish to caravan up there. The first meeting spot is Sideling Hill Center on I-68 west bound. The GPS coordinates are "lat=39.71814726, lon=-78.2801870585" and the meeting time will be 8:30 - 9:00AM. This will put us in Connellsville around 10:30. The 2nd meeting spot is where we'll group together before heading to the trail. It痴 the Sheetz station in town. You can get Gas, food, snacks, etc here. The address for that is 1002 W Crawford Ave, Connellsville, PA 15425, and we will be meeting there 10:30-11. This will put us at the Caverns around 12:30-1:00 for lunch. And we can then spend the rest of the day wheeling.

These trails are a lot of fun, those who have been on them can testify about them as well. It痴 mostly dirt trails, so there are no nasty rocks to worry about snagging on. It's still a challenging trail due to the terrain. A stock jeep can do these trail. But it's definitely a trail that one has to do to see how much fun it is. There are also plenty of mud holes for those that like that and all the deep ones have by-passes.

So hope you folks can come out and play! Let me know if you plan on attending.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Far enough out that I can plan for this trip. Let me look at what's in the area as it's quite a distance from my home but I'd like to check it out.

Count me as tentative.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

would like to but thats a four hour drive for me.....GAS=$$$$$$$
Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mongo
would like to but thats a four hour drive for me.....GAS=$$$$$$$
I know the feeling. its 3.5 for me. but i've found that i can make it there, ride around all day, and get back home on one tank of gas. so its no so bad.

Originally Posted by riverzendz
Far enough out that I can plan for this trip. Let me look at what's in the area as it's quite a distance from my home but I'd like to check it out.

Count me as tentative.
get in touch with Jeepin Dad. there is a nice motel around there that he's used before when he brought his family once. they are suppose to be a good hotel with good rates. i'm almost tempted to stay there myself. camping in the area is not so cheap...

Originally Posted by benmar2000
I know that feeling all to well.. It has put a kink in my plans for trail runs this year.. I have a 4hr drive in any direction to go off roading..
yeah... it sucks... all the good places are so far away. ugh!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will check with Wendy and see if she wants to head over that way and visit family that weekend. If we do go we will probably stay at the Holiday Inn in Uniontown, it is about $120 a night but has a really nice indoor swimming pool and hot tub area and an indoor playground for the kids. It is about 15 minutes from Connellsville on RT 40.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

D'oh, I've been hoping to see another Casparis run as I live pretty near and I've never been up there, unfortunately I'll be traveling back from the OBX that day so I guess I'll have to miss this one.

Hopefully next time.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Freak

yes, in ohiopyle, which is like 30 minutes away, if you kayak there is some great class 3 action aswell. beutiful place well worth the 8 hr drive.

Last edited by bahadden; 05-29-2008 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joeglock
count me in.

edit: also do is there any good camping up there?
Originally Posted by bahadden
yes, in ohiopyle, which is like 30 minutes away, if you kayak there is some great class 3 action aswell. beutiful place well worth the 8 hr drive.
Kooser and Laurel Hill state parks are also 30-40 minutes away.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...ks/kooser.aspx
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...aurelhill.aspx
Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

This is getting closer. just giving a little reminder.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joeglock
so is any one else intrested in camping out for this one?
We are still considering going, won't know for sure until after the Rausch Creek run on the 14th (got to make sure I don't break anything). If we do go we will more than likely be camping at Kooser State park since they allow dogs.

Joeglock - let me know if you want to camp in the same park etc. We'd head up Friday, and stay until Sunday...

Last edited by Jeepin Dad; 06-04-2008 at 07:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Trail Ride - Caspars Run for 06-28-08