Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

AEV Front bumper on a UK spec JK

Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nick p
Ordered the stuff mid March, bank transfer was circa 20th. Not the end of the earth but having paid a fair chunk of money out I want the kit on and to start using it. I and a few mates have organised a trip to Scotland (NW of Fort William) in July and desperately want the kit on for then!

Tyres........ My thoughts for what its worth.. For hard packed snow/ice you need a narrow tyre reasonably open (AT ish) tread with lots of siping. If you look at the tres they run on rally cars on snow/ice stages you get the idea. For deep virgin snow you want a wider section heavy pattern (MT ish) Because we normally get a mixture of both you can never get a tyre that excells in all conditions. I have run Michelin,Cooper, General and BFG on 4x4s over the years and way prefer a MT tyre. I stll like a relatively narrow version for the majority of use here hence going for a 255/85x16 35/37x12.50s look cool but I'm not conviced on the congested roads of the UK when the weather is crap is the best way forward. Problem is 255/85x16 really need a 7" rim hence the Compomotives.
All 4x4 tyres rated M&S are designed for use in colder conditions and because of this the rubber compound still grips in minus conditions something that cannot be said for a normal car tyre. Because of this whatever you choose your ahead of the majority + you have a top 4x4
Nick

Sorry if I've bored you to death!
thanks i sure do like the look of a wide tyre. i think im gonna get the bgf at's but the only size that is e marked (which is a 33") is a 305/65r17. ie 12" wide
they have a 35" but that is even wider. they will stick out about an inch, do you think anyone will notice

and ill get a set of soft compoud narrow tyres for the stockers.

i certainly have not been bored to death, quite the opposite

did they have the rhd lift kit in stock?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The police only seem worried when the tread sicks out and is uncovered. The bulge of the sidewall sticking out beyond the wheel arch will not cause any greif in my experience.

They did have stock but it was earmarked for AUS, there seems to be some delay with the second batch

Nick
Old 05-18-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

these are 315's on aev's and they stick out a bit. a 305 should be fine i think/hope.
Click image for larger version

Name:	113-7-20080625121237.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24345

Click image for larger version

Name:	113-4-20080624130416.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	24346
Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I meant to say yesterday that the BFG MTs are on short supply in many sizes in the UK because they are switching over to the KM2. The official date was mid may but I was told in March by Southam tyres that going on previous experience of Michelin/BFG it was more likely to be August. These will then come through Emarked and EU legal.

Nick
Old 05-19-2009, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

I meant to say yesterday that the BFG MTs are on short supply in many sizes in the UK because they are switching over to the KM2. The official date was mid may but I was told in March by Southam tyres that going on previous experience of Michelin/BFG it was more likely to be August. These will then come through Emarked and EU legal.

Nick
ok i was wondering if km2's were gonna be e marked. the thing i am concerned about is driving with them in the wet, black ice. are they really that different to an A/T or are they not bad. especially with the JK being rear wheel drive. would i have to take is a lot easier in the wet?

oh and i also noticed that you side markers(indicatiors on fenders) are the US spec ones. is that what all uk rubi's come like?
Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just ordered the US spec ones from the local dealer. About £12.00 each. The original lamp wiring plug fits on, plus now it's pretty well flush.
I prefer the BFG MT to he BFG AT. The ultimate level of grip in the wet is less but the breakaway is far more progessive and you have to be really doing something silly to get that far. My 5.2 100" is pretty quick for an old L/R and I enjoy driving it in how shall I put it......in a spirited way. Not in towns and built up areas but on the A and B roads of Wales where I used to do a lot of driving. I'm also more than happy to drive at 90 mph hour after hour on the French auto routes (wet or dry) when doing events like the Cevenol.
On snow and ice the most important thing is driving well within the limits of the vehicle, the driver and most importantly the horde of clueless muppets out there on the roads.

If your set on an AT I think there are options that give far better road manners than the BFG, not sure in the right size though? Have you driven a 4x4 on MTs they are noisier for sure!

Nick
Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

The ABS, TC & SC are also very good at keeping you on the straight and narrow. Spent plenty of time playing with a hire JK in the US before buying one here. Out there all Rubicons come on BFG MTs but admttedly it is a different tread pattern to the KM2.

Nick
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 PM
JK Freak

I just ordered the US spec ones from the local dealer. About £12.00 each. The original lamp wiring plug fits on, plus now it's pretty well flush.
I prefer the BFG MT to he BFG AT. The ultimate level of grip in the wet is less but the breakaway is far more progessive and you have to be really doing something silly to get that far. My 5.2 100" is pretty quick for an old L/R and I enjoy driving it in how shall I put it......in a spirited way. Not in towns and built up areas but on the A and B roads of Wales where I used to do a lot of driving. I'm also more than happy to drive at 90 mph hour after hour on the French auto routes (wet or dry) when doing events like the Cevenol.
On snow and ice the most important thing is driving well within the limits of the vehicle, the driver and most importantly the horde of clueless muppets out there on the roads.

If your set on an AT I think there are options that give far better road manners than the BFG, not sure in the right size though? Have you driven a 4x4 on MTs they are noisier for sure!

Nick
thanks. i also like driving speedy, but i do take it easy (if not a bit too easy) in the corners, mainly due to the ridiculus body roll the jk has. (my other car is a lowered classic mini cooper so it really feels different.)
im not to botherd about noise, for long journeys music will drown it out.
i hope they make some decent sizes in the KM2's so i can mabye get a 285/70r17 which wont stick out at all.

oh and this thread has gone WAY of topic. i'm sorry but the EU section is not very active.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

LOL. The Jk is like a gocart compared to the L/R
Must try to grt my mate Giles to post a bit more, he has done some interesting stuff to his JK. I'll get a few pics next time its in! Your spot on though it is rather quiet in this section.
Nick
Old 05-26-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Nick

Nice Bumper! Look forward to the pics when you've done the Lift

Quick Reply: AEV Front bumper on a UK spec JK