Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

UK Legislation About Driving With NO Doors

Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up UK Legislation About Driving With NO Doors

Well I sent an email to VOSA regarding the legalities of not having doors on the jeep, sending picture of the warning sticker on the hardtop, and they then put me in contact with the "Department for Transport, Transport Technology and Standards Division" who later sent this email

Thank you for your email of 11 August, addressed to FAX9643 regarding driving a vehicle on a public road with the doors removed. Your email has been forwarded to the Department for Transport, Transport Technology and Standards Division because we have policy responsibility for vehicle safety.

Whilst there is no specific legislation to stop you removing the doors, we would strongly advise against it as doors prevent passenger ejection and protect you in the event of an accident.

You should also be aware that Regulation 100 of The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986 No. 1078) and Section 40a of The Road Traffic Act 1988, state that:

A person is guilty of an offence if he uses, or causes or permits another to use, a motor vehicle or trailer on a road when:

(a) the condition of the motor vehicle or trailer, or of its accessories or equipment; or
(b) the purpose for which it is used; or
(c) the number of passengers carried by it, or the manner in which they are carried; or
(d) the weight, position or distribution of its load, or the manner in which it is secured; is such that the use of the motor vehicle or trailer involves a danger of injury to any person.

Ultimately the interpretation of the law is a matter for the courts based on the individual facts of any particular case. You are therefore advised to consult the relevant legislation and, if necessary, seek independent advice.

So I make out that its perfectly fine to drive with no doors in the UK, and they are just covering their back about seeking independent advice. The only thing to remember is to avoid accidents
Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes and all we need now is to stop it raining for more than 24 hours.
Interesting email though.
Would have to keep a copy of it in the JK if you went out with the doors off to show the local 'Bobbys' when they stop you.

RLT
Old 08-15-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RLT
Yes and all we need now is to stop it raining for more than 24 hours.
Interesting email though.
Would have to keep a copy of it in the JK if you went out with the doors off to show the local 'Bobbys' when they stop you.

RLT
Yeah it would be nice to get at least a few days of guaranteed no-rain, but hey what are drain holes for?
That's what I have done, kept a copy of the email in with the manual, although I probably wont be taking them of much unless I'm down in Devon where its a bit warmer.

Quick Reply: UK Legislation About Driving With NO Doors