Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!!!

Old 11-20-2017, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

Help!!! While driving my jeep on friday I noticed it wasn't driving normal. After being stuck in traffic I noticed the check engine light popped on. I was on the highway so i kept driving, yeah I know! After getting off the highway when I got to stop lights I noticed really rough idling, and saw some smoke coming from the engine. I only had a few miles to make it to work and I was in the hood, so I kept driving it until I got to work. The engine was not overheating. Got to work and was able to have our not so bright mechanics take a look. Plugged it into the computer and it says cylinder 6 misfire injector open. And it was dripping gas on a heat shield causing the smoke. What does this mean exactly?! I had someone tell me its a recall but according to my vin I don't qualify for it, it's an issue in later year jk's. Thanks. 2008 jeep jk 4 door 3.8L
Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thread moved to get more visiblity:

The engine misfire can because by a bad coil pack or spark plug. As for the open injector this is the first I have head about this. The recall you are referring too is for 2012 and up with the 3.6l Pentastar mortor.

Interested in finding out what the cause might be.

R/
Will
Old 11-24-2017, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You already know there is a fuel leak. Find where it's coming from exactly and fix it.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Well, if it's fuel coming out, then it would seem to be somewhere between the fuel rail and the injector.

I recently took the top of my engine off to replace the lower intake manifold gasket.

Maybe some of my pics will give you a clue as to where the fuel leak is coming from.

The shiney tube at the front left is where your fuel comes into the engine from the gas tank. It connects to the fuel rail, the shiney silver item in the middle.

Fuel runs through the rail, where the rail has tubes that connect to the individual injectors.

The injectors can be seen at the bottom of the lower intake manifold.

So if you have a fuel leak, it's somewhere between the main gas line connection of the fuel rail, and one of the injectors. Pull off that lower intake manifold and you'll find it. It's possible that the lower intake manifold gasket is leaking, where a leaky LIM gasket is a pretty common problem. Most of the time it's engine coolant that comes leaking out due to a bad lower intake manifold gasket, but no reason it can't be fuel.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-25-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Help!!!