Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!! Do I have a bad rod bearing?

Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Do I have a bad rod bearing?

Ok, so I have been dealing with an oil leak for a bit now. Today I was driving back from the Soo, and my oil pressure light flashed on and off twice, I pulled over and checked my oil and I was almost bone dry. I got a ride to the gas station, picked up 4 quarts of oil, and went back and put them in; she cranked right over, but was running a little rough. As I drove down the road the rough rattling sound was stronger, and seemed to be louder/softer variant on the throttle.

As I got into a small town, and was slowing down, the light flashed on and off twice, so I pulled over to check the oil. The oil still read full, however, something to mention (might not be of note), white smoke came out of the dip stick pipe. I was going to move her over to the gas station for further assessment, but when I cranked her over she still ran hard, and the pressure light came one again; I towed her home to figure it out. Thoughts?

P.S. I have an audio recording of how she sounded, I will try to post it in a thread.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'd say there's a good chance you've done internal damage to the motor, and rod bearings certainly do not like to be starved for oil. As you've no doubt surmised, using oil pressure indication to monitor for low fluid level is not a good idea. Sorry for the bad luck.

Quick Reply: Help!! Do I have a bad rod bearing?