Notices
Forum Support Please post Jeep questions in the technical forums. If you're new to JK-Forum and have questions on how to post photographs, use the search function for optimal results, modify your signature or profile, resolve issues you might be having logging in or just about anything else including where to find newbie JK FAQ's, this is the place to start!

Towing

Old 06-02-2017, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing

Me and my wife are planning a road trip to Montana from Illinois this summer. We have a 2014 2door hardtop and plan on renting a uhaul trailer for the trip. The trailer is 900 lbs and we will only be adding a few bags of luggage and 2 cages for our golden retrievers that will be going with. We may bring back somethings from out there but pretty sure I can keep it under 1500 lbs. Just trying to make sure that it will pull ok. Looking for any help. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will be fine. The legal limit in 2000 pounds. We towed a pop-up tent trailer up and down a mountain pass several times with out 2 door. Trailer were just over 2000 pounds. Just remember that you are towing and drive slower and brake sooner.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I dont see any info about your jeep in your profile. I'd say a lot of it is subjective on gearing and tires. I'm guessing that you're stock or close to stock since you haven't updated the profile. You should be fine in general. As the above post suggests, just keep in mind you need to brake sooner and be cautious of speed. Try to keep weight evenly distributed in the trailer to keep it from getting squirrely at speed.

Quick Reply: Towing