Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Alamagordo, NM area, possibly relocating.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alamagordo, NM area, possibly relocating.

Anyone in here from the Alamagordo, NM area? There's a possibility of me relocating out there for a job on the AirForce base there working on UAVs. What's the area like? Pros? Cons? My parents lived in El Paso for 2 years and said that area is kinda small, and it doesn't look like there's alot there. What's it like living in the desert out there? And most of all, are there good, legal trails nearby? Thanks for any help.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in El Paso, and officially we're 665K small and Almagordo is 35-36K population-wise, a lot has changed in El Paso... As for things to do, it really is up to what you want to do. Off-roading there's a range from desert dunes to a fair amount of good rock crawling. Offroad Evolution even started their North American Experience here (technically Las Cruces, but you get the idea). As for downsides, it's the desert with a mountain range in the middle of it so it gets hot during the summer and the weather is pretty unpredictable all the rest of the time.

Other areas of interest that are close by are Cloudcroft and Ruidoso, NM both nice little mountain escapes, White Sands, NM the great white desert, Carlsbad Caverns, NM one of the most popular cave systems in the U.S., Hueco Tanks home of some of the worlds' best free climbing, Guadalupe Peak tallest peak in Texas, Roswell, NM home of the UFOs, etc... Lots to do if you look for it...

If you want any more details don't hesitate to ask...
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by briaros6
I'm in El Paso, and officially we're 665K small and Almagordo is 35-36K population-wise, a lot has changed in El Paso... As for things to do, it really is up to what you want to do. Off-roading there's a range from desert dunes to a fair amount of good rock crawling. Offroad Evolution even started their North American Experience here (technically Las Cruces, but you get the idea). As for downsides, it's the desert with a mountain range in the middle of it so it gets hot during the summer and the weather is pretty unpredictable all the rest of the time.

Other areas of interest that are close by are Cloudcroft and Ruidoso, NM both nice little mountain escapes, White Sands, NM the great white desert, Carlsbad Caverns, NM one of the most popular cave systems in the U.S., Hueco Tanks home of some of the worlds' best free climbing, Guadalupe Peak tallest peak in Texas, Roswell, NM home of the UFOs, etc... Lots to do if you look for it...

If you want any more details don't hesitate to ask...

Sweet, thanks for the info. When I was a kid my dad went to Ft Bliss one summer for two months for work. Don't remember much about it but I do remember going to white sand park and Carlsbad caverns. Pretty cool sights. I'm hoping there's more rocky trails out there than there are here on the east coast. I know the wife is worried about the job market out there and the small area not having as much night life and it being harder to make friends and such.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive spent many weeks in that town working.....it is a desert town and rather small which can make it hard to find work. Some size indicators would be one Wal-Mart, one movie theater which is newer and very nice. Not much is produced in the area other than some movies being filmed as of late and of course the base providing jobs. Some good notes are a good cost of living which Im sure you have already looked up and like others have mentioned some fun outdoor stuff to do. There are some great rock crawling trails in the area for sure, Las Cruces has amazing trails and you will love the Chilie Challenge in Feb...look that up. Gordys hill is just outside of Socorro NM and that has great trails as well from easy to extreme. Outwest is a little different than back easy being much of the space is still open land so exploring is a fun option and trails are waiting for you.....Good luck with the decision.

Quick Reply: Alamagordo, NM area, possibly relocating.