Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Anyone in the Salt Lake area want to help me test my CB?

Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone in the Salt Lake area want to help me test my CB?

I installed a CB radio in my Jeep today, I've been reading a ton about how to install them so I think I did it correctly.

So I've got it all hooked up, but no one replied to my radio checks on channel 19, so I'm not sure if I'm broadcasting. I also didn't hear any chatter on 19. Drove around SLC too. I only heard static every so often... I could try to hit a truck stop, perhaps being closer will get results. I might be out of range, so it might be working just fine.

My co-worker told me he never tuned his and he's had his CB for over 4 years with no problems, so I didn't do that to mine. His Jeep to Jeep communications while in Moab on the trails have been fine. So that's all I really care about but I can't test that without another person with a CB.

Could I meet up with someone sometime locally to test the range and such? Hopefully tomorrow (Sunday)... I'm anxious to test it out.

My wife says it would be okay to take it someplace to get it tuned if needed... but I want to try it first with someone close by. If I do have to take it in, where would I even start looking? Are there places in SLC that tune CBs?

Call or text me... eight-zero-one (area code...) seven-five-zero... six-two-six-six

Thanks - Jeff

Last edited by xerofall; 08-08-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting mine installed this weekend .. I can help you out next weekend if you still need to
Old 08-09-2009, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

One thing to be careful with is that the antenna mount should come with a plastic washer that insulates the top half of the mount from the bracket. If the top half is metal to metal there is a good chance you are grounding the antenna and not just the coax. The bottom half of the mount should be touching metal to ground the external part of the coax cable. I learned this the hard way.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

What happens if you dont ground it?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

It does have the plastic washer, and a ground wire on the bottom. I was able to get a really good signal while parked next to a co-worker, but as soon as I drove away I got nothing...

I'm wondering if the antenna is too cheap or too small. I'm just going to bite the bullet and take it to a local shop to have it tuned and checked out. If I have to buy a longer antenna, I will.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Where are you taking it? How much are they gonna charge you? Let us know when you get it done! Then we will test it out in Moab!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Junkie

The place I called doesn't tune them. He said no one in SLC tunes or services CB radios anymore. So I was out of luck... I tried buying a more expensive adjustable antenna, but that didn't work either.

So I went to Radio Shack and shelled out $45 bucks and bought an SWR meter and an antenna I could cut manually... My signal was so far past 3 it wasn't even funny. No wonder,

So I was able to get ch 1 barely under 2 and ch 40 at 1.5 with the cheaper antenna. I can hear truckers barely so hopefully this will solve my problem when I test it again with my co-worker. I still have some work to do... might be grounding issues, antenna length, position of antenna, etc...

So if anyone needs to borrow my meter, I will lend it out and try to give you a hand tuning it.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default cb's

There is a little CB shop in Ogden that tunes them for $15.. they are a little crude but do awesome work.. I had a problem with my ground and then they tuned it for me had to take a bout a foot of wire out of my antennna..... So everyone check them out. Its called the the cbshop on 21st in Ogden by the flying J...
Old 08-16-2009, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

I don't run a radio for myself yet, but I dispatch over the road drivers for a trucking company. Several of my drivers still run CB's including one guy that actually lives in Moab and works on CB's on the side. He is really quite good but his spare time can be hard to come by. If you're interested PM me and I will check with him about getting you in touch.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the Salt Lake area want to help me test my CB?