Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Denver Area: Amateur Radio Licensing Class starting March 12

Old 02-14-2009, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denver Area: Amateur Radio Licensing Class starting March 12

Denver Area Amateur Radio Licensing Class

I wanted to let the group know that a few experienced Ham Radio operators will be conducting a Technician licensing class beginning March 10.

When: Thursdaynights beginning March 12, four weeks in duration
Time: 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Where: LDS Church at 8150 S. Colorado Blvd. in Littleton (Just north of C-470 on Colorado Blvd)
Cost: FREE! The class is free. The exam costs $15. Licensing manual (optional) costs $18.

What is it:

A few years ago the FCC changed the requirements to obtain a Technician class amateur radio operating license, removing the requirement to learn Morse Code. This has opened up the Ham Radio world to many people who previously were not interested in learning Morse Code. Ham Radio is both a fun hobby and a very useful communications capability, particularly in the event of an emergency. When telephones and the Internet are unavailable, Ham Radio is there. And for our off-roading hobby, Ham Radio is a great addition to your bag of tricks.

This class is designed to familiarize you with those things you need to know to obtain your Technician Class Amateur Radio License. Class instruction will be provided by a group of seasoned ham radio operators (including myself). All ages are welcome (last year my 12 year old son got his license).

The classes will be held on Thursdaynights, March 12, 19, 26, and April 2 from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Additional instruction will be available on Saturday mornings during the training period for those that might need extra help. The FCC Amateur Radio exam will be on Saturday morning April 4th. There are regular testing dates and locations available, so if you are unable to make April 4th there are plenty of other options.

The class is available for free. We will have a limited number of Technician Licensing Manuals available for $25 (you can also purchase this book online or at Ham Radio Outlet). This book is optional, but recommended as it has all of the actual test questions and answers printed in it. The test itself only costs $15.00, and the license is good for 10 years.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by MileHighAko; 02-28-2009 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Updated date and location
Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
JK Freak

KD0EMB

really? I had to go way up north to get mine...

I have a ham in my jeep if anybody ever wants to chat.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I updated the original post with date and location. Anyone is welcome to attend.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Quick update: the building they were going to use isn't available on Tuesdays so they moved it back to Thursday nights, just FYI.

Quick Reply: Denver Area: Amateur Radio Licensing Class starting March 12