Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Headed to the Ouray Jam in a couple weeks | any recommendations

Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed to the Ouray Jam in a couple weeks | any recommendations

Anyone been to the Ouray Jam? Anyone headed that way in 2 weeks?
If so, what should I be sure to see/do (aside from the trails?)
Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Try to do Yankee Boy Basin in the morning...best sun. it you can't that's ok just make sure you do it... one the areas most beautiful drives,, (at least that I've done so far.) still need to do several more but this one with the flowers was really nice..
also Poughkeepsie gulch was really good... wild flowers as tall as the Jeep...

box falls is nice,,, been years since i been there...
the list goes on.... I wish I could make this... but I'll be in Colo a few weeks later for hopefully fall colors.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 08-25-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

If on a budget stay in silverton, was there a month ago and had a lifetime experiance!!! Most all the trails are awsome. Just buy the Colorado Trails, southwest region by alder publishing and you will have the most detailed topo and trial maps out there. Theres plenty to do just look up there visitor center or town websight. Just have a good camera with plenty of memory cards. The ice park and hot springs were cool.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Man I'm jealous. Did Corkscrew pass last month. My favorite area. Have fun.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm headed there for the last week of September, can't wait, and it looks like there's a ton of stuff to do around Silverton.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Awesome! thanks for the recommendations. really looking forward to it. taking my son with me. 2 day drive to Ouray, day off, 2 days on the trails, 2 days back... a lot of JK windshield time!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bubbacon
Awesome! thanks for the recommendations. really looking forward to it. taking my son with me. 2 day drive to Ouray, day off, 2 days on the trails, 2 days back... a lot of JK windshield time!!!
Last year I went in mid-september to the Colorado Springs area for 2 days, Leadville for 1 1/2 days and then took another 1 1/2 driving back. I learned that 4 days in the area was not nearly enough 6-7 actually there would be ideal. Once you get on the trails you're always stopping and looking at stuff and getting sidetracked, the time flies. The rockies are my new destination every year now, just different areas.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigT
If on a budget stay in silverton, was there a month ago and had a lifetime experiance!!! Most all the trails are awsome. Just buy the Colorado Trails, southwest region by alder publishing and you will have the most detailed topo and trial maps out there. Theres plenty to do just look up there visitor center or town websight. Just have a good camera with plenty of memory cards. The ice park and hot springs were cool.
Where in Silverton did you stay, I'm going the end of September ? - Thanks
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be staying in Silverton for a day or two the last week of September, depends on how much Leadville, Marble and between hold me up.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will love it. I am close by so go regularly, but it's still a favorite spot. Are you camping or hoteling it? I typically avoid Jamborees as trails get crowded, but I had a bunch of fun during a Toyota FJ meet there recently...they were very welcoming to our Jeeps. I'll likely be there for this event as well.

Quick Reply: Headed to the Ouray Jam in a couple weeks | any recommendations