Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Looking for a nice place to do some wheeling and possibly camping -- any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a nice place to do some wheeling and possibly camping -- any suggestions?

Hey everyone,

This is a repost from the "JK Talk" section, someone said I should ask here.

I'm looking for someplace to drive out to and do some wheeling (and possibly camping) with my girlfriend before she heads to Germany for 2 years.

Some things I am considering (as far as scenery goes...I dont know any specific locations yet) are:

- Mountainous areas (there have been some threads I've looked at on these forums that had some good pictures of snow in June. Looked great).

- A river to drive along (with like streams and stuff that doesnt go too high on the jeep, kinda like 3-10 inches deep for a long distance so that it can be driven in and just hear the water splashing, etc).

- Maybe sand dunes (I know that there are some in Syracuse, KS <www. syracusesanddunes .com/> But I've heard that jumping dunes can be horrible for your axels and joints..... Also don't have a portable air compressor yet).

- Moab, Utah is also a possibility, although it's a bit of a drive.

We live in Manhattan, KS (north east/central KS) so closer is better.

Looking for any suggestions and input!

Also, just to give you an idea of my capabilities, I have a completely stock X (3.21 gears and all ), but might have some rubi take offs by the time we do this trip.

Thanks!

As an update: I've looked into Ouray, CO and it looks great. One of the good things is we could hit Pikes Peak along the way (I know its a mild trip up, but it would be a good thing to hit on the way). The only thing that I dont know about Ouray, is that all the trail footage I've seen make it look very mild...like something a minivan or 4runner could handle. I know my jeep isn't up to par with a lot of yours, but I'd like to think it's more capable than a 4runner.

Here's a link to the original thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=1#post1230869
Old 07-12-2009, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Look at Ouray, Colorado. The are has some fantastic trails. Is cool this time of year, and I believe all the trais areopen now. As fas as streams to drive down and play in. I didn't really pay any attention to them. I did cross a number of them though... You definatly don't want to come doen to this area. It's hot and the monsoons can bring up the dry washes in a matter of minuits....

Ouray is the place to go.. 1 week minimum could be spent there with every day on a different trail.....
Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't gotten out to Ouray yet myself, but from what I've seen and heard it's the place to go. Check out www .traildamage.com many colorado trails are listed there with trip reports, pictures and ratings.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check out Medano Pass on traildamage.com. Stock Jeep can do it no problems. I'd recommend having a compressor so you can air down. Makes the trail more comfortable and easier to get through the sandy end. Camp sites along the trail.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by woffles
Check out Medano Pass on traildamage.com. Stock Jeep can do it no problems. I'd recommend having a compressor so you can air down. Makes the trail more comfortable and easier to get through the sandy end. Camp sites along the trail.
I like the sand idea. I take it you've gone there? On the trail description it mentions that people were sledding down the sand dunes (sounds like fun) but one of the pictures said that going off of the trail was trespassing, etc.

Just wondering if there was some sand dune sledding going on.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are allowed to "walk" on the dunes, you just can't drive on them. People bring sleds or cardboard to slide down. It's hot work climbing them though. I have some shots from our trip posted on my flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wulfpho...7620972502574/

Quick Reply: Looking for a nice place to do some wheeling and possibly camping -- any suggestions?