Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Missing Jeeper

Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Jeeper

This was brought to my attention:

URGENT - Offroader missing - Jay Lafontaine Bryan has been missing since last week. If you can, please help post this and pass this around or on other forums. He was last seen driving from Boomtown nevada to Death Valley on 11/27, driving a Jeep Rubicon - black, no doors.

I've also posted this in the SoCal and Silver State threads.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Update!!!

"Investigators believe Lafontaine’s Jeep got stuck in a ravine. Footprints in the snow indicated he was trying to walk out of the area for assistance, police said."

http://claycord.blogspot.com/2009/12...d-in-mono.html
http://fugitive.com/archives/15929?u...Fugitive+Watch

What those reports don't state is the fact that LaFontaine left the doors and windows for his Wrangler at home.

He drove to Boomtown (in Verdi on I-80) in time for a swift moving storm that left some snow in the Reno area (and here in Winnemucca), but really hit Gardnerville and south into Mono County the heaviest. The region's temperatures have barely hit freezing in Reno since, but well below in most other areas. Since then (and about the time he died) highs have only been in the teens and lows well below zero in the entire eastern California / northern Nevada region.

Why he chose to turn up the road to Bodie, it being closed for winter at the time, I haven't a clue. Even if he made it to the Death Valley floor (his reported destination), a Wrangler without doors and windows would have been downright chilly. Anything above the floor of the valley would be brutal, as much of the area got blanketed by snow in storms since his being reported missing.

The only good thing to come out of this is that closure for his family came quickly. Not next spring when his body might have been found, or 13 years from now, as in the case of the missing Germans in Death Valley.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Junkie

Sad news right there
Old 12-21-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

wow, that is sad!

Quick Reply: Missing Jeeper