Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

NE Phx Area - Close by Playgrounds

Old 10-05-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NE Phx Area - Close by Playgrounds

Have done a few trails in the central area and having a great time. What are some of the best places you have found for a quick afternoon playground in the NE side?
Old 12-17-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by par4bmw
Have done a few trails in the central area and having a great time. What are some of the best places you have found for a quick afternoon playground in the NE side?
I know I'm a little late on the reply, but there's a lot of fun stuff around Lake Pleasant. Let me know if you're going, I'll tag along.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

Just did the Montana Mountain Trail, between Florence Junction & Superior just off US60 Turn at the Queen Valley Resort sign). This was a great trail, with some technical, but not much. The views were great, even found about 18" deep mud hole to go through. There are several wash's to go through, so make sure it has not rained for a few days otherwise some of them may not be passable. There are several spurs off the trail, some lead to trail heads and one even leads to an old cabin. I highly recomend getting a book with the trail laid out as I would have gotten lost without it, even with the navigation. A good stretch of the trail does not show up in there, so it looks like you are totally off road. There was a good amount of traffic and had to back up a couple times, but that was the only downside. A couple places are plenty ide for one vehicle but not two. I even had to go up the side os a hill some to let some ATV's get by as it was too narrow for both of us. Also, be warned, much of the trail is on the north side and over 5000' so expect snow and ice in the winter if there has been recent rain. I went yesterday and the last rain was Friday, but still had a good amount of ice, on the downhill section of course. It was fairly slick, but 4 low worked well on it and kept me from sliding.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah. montana mtn is very easy. did the whole trip in summer and winter in 2wd. the solid sheet of ice on the north side can be the only difficulty for the inexperioenced.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Junkie

I agree, it was quite easy, but good for the beginner or new JK owner to help get used to your rig. I'd like to try something a bit more difficult. Any suggestions in the East valley way?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

hey scouter how difficult you want to get?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

I'm not lifted, so nothing requiring a lift, but other than that, I'm open to just about anything. I'm getting used to her now, so I'm ready to go a bit tougher.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

hey scouter, you may be ready for martinez mine/box canyon area. very senic. or sycamore creek area. close and somewhat not very hard and a stock jeep should be ok in most areas.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks Montejeep, I was looking at doing Martinez next, I'll also look into Sycamore as well.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a map of the Tonto National Forest Cave Creek OHV area. There a ton of trails from mild to extreme. Trails start by Needle Rock and go as far north as the Pine Mountain Wilderness area and goes pretty much from the Rio Verde river to I-17. This map also includes a good stretch of the Great Western Trail. There's enough off-road stuff to make for some great over-nighters too.

Also try this web site. Good for an quick afternoon ride. Better yet if you bring your mountain bike along.

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/outdoor_re...20Brochure.pdf

Quick Reply: NE Phx Area - Close by Playgrounds