Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Open Trails in Colorado? June 8-14, 2011

Old 06-01-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Open Trails in Colorado? June 8-14, 2011

I'm going to be out in WY the middle of June and was looking to hit some trails in Colorado on my way out during June 8-14th. It is my understanding that many of the trails are still closed due to the high levels of snow. I've got a short list of trails from the Wells guides but they books are far from inclusive of all the trails Colorado has to offer.

I was hoping to get some feedback from the forum on trails which you have already run this year which I can likely plan on being open when I'm in the area. I plan to drive all around the state so I'm open to different locations and of course any fellow individuals who are interested in meeting up,

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by internski; 06-01-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Coincidentally, I did some checking online today and found most everything I looked at was closed. Over the weekend I ran the Medano Pass trail in the Great Sand Dunes which was open, but that's a bit off the beaten path to run as part of a longer drive.

I use traildamage.com for ideas and then can call the Forest Service or use their website to see what is open. Good luck and happy trails.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Go to Bushducks.com and look at the Colorado High Country Pass page. Also, check out the local forums for recent trip reports.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

I went up Devil Mountain in March. I don't think I was supposed to but the gates were open and it was my first time to Colorado. I didn't know that there were certain times you could and couldn't go up the trails. It got pretty hairy towards the top but was alot of fun. Looking back at it now I see why they would close them
Old 06-02-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the feedback thus far. I have been diligent in checking with the local forest service offices but appreciate everyone's insight.

I can't wait to get out there!
Old 06-02-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have not gone, but I heard a few has already done red cone. Just be carefully, we had a lot of moisture this winter and the trails are still pretty wet, and crumbly. Important to know with shelf trails.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alpine Loop should be open. Cinnamon Pass opened last weekend, though there is still a lot of snow on top from fotos/ reports.
Old 06-03-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the insight
Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Yankee Boy is open, drove it yesterday. Silverton to Animas Forks is also open. Google "Ouray County" and "SOA Jeep", the have trail info and status on there sites. The information does seem to be a few days old. I plan on checking out additional trails today.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GON WHLN
Rampart Range is open - muddy
Bill Moore lake is open - still snowy in spots
Chinamans Gulch is open - dry
The gulches is open - muddy

All can found in your Wells book.
Can you get all the way up to Bill Moore Lake?

Quick Reply: Open Trails in Colorado? June 8-14, 2011