Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Tucson Crew B.S Say Anything Thread!!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tucson--desert rat vs. 4wheelparts?

Hi guys,

Originally looking to get a full suspension lift 3.5+ , but now since my finacee is going back to law school at U of A, our income is going to be cut in half. I flat out cannot wait 3 years for a lift kit, I've been wanting one since a month before I got the jeep. I am driving a 2 door 2010 rubicon 6spd and was considering dropping about 1k into a 2.5 suspension lift teraflex with labor. Do any of you local guys know the better place to go as far as labor? It seems like 4wheelparts is the more popular choice here but looking online seems that desert rat on kolb and 22nd has slightly better prices. any info on the labor costs of these places?

I was going to try to do this myself, but it seems like every part i buy if the box says 2 hours, it takes me 6. If this is about a 5-7 hour job for someone by themselves, it would take me 2 days to do it. If anybody out here is a mechanic and can do it for a good price I would be more than happy to pay you as well.

Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome.

I am not a serious wheeler, but I would like to be able to go onto some of these arizona trails with more confidence. I did the "three feathers" hill for the first time last weekend and it was a little rough being stock with no lift.

this is my daily driver too.

Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rmtobin01
Hi guys,

Originally looking to get a full suspension lift 3.5+ , but now since my finacee is going back to law school at U of A, our income is going to be cut in half. I flat out cannot wait 3 years for a lift kit, I've been wanting one since a month before I got the jeep. I am driving a 2 door 2010 rubicon 6spd and was considering dropping about 1k into a 2.5 suspension lift teraflex with labor. Do any of you local guys know the better place to go as far as labor? It seems like 4wheelparts is the more popular choice here but looking online seems that desert rat on kolb and 22nd has slightly better prices. any info on the labor costs of these places?

I was going to try to do this myself, but it seems like every part i buy if the box says 2 hours, it takes me 6. If this is about a 5-7 hour job for someone by themselves, it would take me 2 days to do it. If anybody out here is a mechanic and can do it for a good price I would be more than happy to pay you as well.

Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome.

I am not a serious wheeler, but I would like to be able to go onto some of these arizona trails with more confidence. I did the "three feathers" hill for the first time last weekend and it was a little rough being stock with no lift.

this is my daily driver too.

Thanks again!
Hello and welcom to the group.

I have a rubi unlimited with the TF 2.5 coil lift. It works great and did it myself.

If all you want to do the the T2.5 coil lift you could do that in say 4hrs even with problems.. I don't know abbout the other kits, but when you get over 3" you will need driveshafts. I'm not sure about the 2dr and the 2.5 coil lift but I belive you can put that on and not need to do anyother modifications. such as front driveshaft... Oh, for either you WILL NEED rear wheel spacers.

Call Terra Flex and they will tell you just what you need..
As far as help, I'm sure someone in Tucson will step upto the plate for a simple lift... If not bring it down here..
Old 05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tucson TF 2.5 suspension lift help

Originally Posted by randyd
Hello and welcom to the group.

I have a rubi unlimited with the TF 2.5 coil lift. It works great and did it myself.

If all you want to do the the T2.5 coil lift you could do that in say 4hrs even with problems.. I don't know abbout the other kits, but when you get over 3" you will need driveshafts. I'm not sure about the 2dr and the 2.5 coil lift but I belive you can put that on and not need to do anyother modifications. such as front driveshaft... Oh, for either you WILL NEED rear wheel spacers.

Call Terra Flex and they will tell you just what you need..
As far as help, I'm sure someone in Tucson will step upto the plate for a simple lift... If not bring it down here..

*is there anyone in tucson available sometime in the near future (we could plan out a date to do this) willing to help install a basic teraflex 2.5 suspension lift? i'd love to be able to take part in this modification but would really appreciate a more experienced jeeper that has done something like this before. i'd really hate to screw up an install like this. i'd bring gatorade (i'm assuming we would need it) and maybe a case of beer or something? I'd also throw in 100$ cash for the help!

let me know if this is possible!

i live northwest tucson (very close to the northwest YMCA magee/shannon area) but would be willing to drive basically anywhere in tucson for the assistance.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:13 PM
JK Freak

*is there anyone in tucson available sometime in the near future (we could plan out a date to do this) willing to help install a basic teraflex 2.5 suspension lift? i'd love to be able to take part in this modification but would really appreciate a more experienced jeeper that has done something like this before. i'd really hate to screw up an install like this. i'd bring gatorade (i'm assuming we would need it) and maybe a case of beer or something? I'd also throw in 100$ cash for the help!

i live northwest tucson (very close to the northwest YMCA magee/shannon area) but would be willing to drive basically anywhere in tucson for the assistance.
Ahh come on! no need to pay for a wrenching party, just maybe some beer!

I'm a big fan of the TF budget boost(spacers) and shock adapters for the beginner/moderate wheeler. There are several people here with that setup on a two door that perform very well. This will keep an almost identical ride to stock and you can still use your Rubi monotube shocks. Its super cheap($250-$300) and will allow you to save up for a more complete lift in the future if you ever decide to after you've done some wheeling. This will also allow the use of 35" tires. If you want a little more of a complex left, you could always get the springs and shocks but it might not be necessary with a 2dr rubi. You've already got decent springs and very good shocks. Then if you want to spend more you could get a lift with control arms, maybe some trackbars, steering gemoetry fixes, driveshafts, etc... the list goes on and on.

If you're looking for a shop in Tucson, Mike @ Crossed Up offroad is as good as they come.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

With the Tucson group I don't know if a case of beer is enough.. Well to get them started it is,,, maybe...

If you get no takers let me know... You would have to make the trip down here though.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default TF 2.5 lift help

Originally Posted by randyd
With the Tucson group I don't know if a case of beer is enough.. Well to get them started it is,,, maybe...

If you get no takers let me know... You would have to make the trip down here though.

I will definitely keep this in mind! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I'll give u a hand with the install. Just let me know when u have the kit in hand and we'll knock it out.

I will definitely keep this in mind! Thanks!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default teraflex 2.5"

Originally Posted by Ken Jong Il
I'll give u a hand with the install. Just let me know when u have the kit in hand and we'll knock it out.
ken,

thanks a million. you are the man. I will order the kit today and let you know when it arrives. I am going to give david @ northridge a call; he seems to be the guy to get in touch with when ordering.

by the way, you have a really awesome set up. can't wait to see your jeep.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Default rubicondevil

Originally Posted by rubicondevil07
You can have full access to my garage and tools. I live in Continental ranch so that is close to you and we don't have to worry about the hobby shop closing on us if anything went horribly wrong. And I do not believe in drinking while working. Make mistakes that way. PM me if interested I am free the next two weekends for sure and probably for the rest of the month. Just don't pm me at 5 pm and want to do it that night. I just hate last minute schedule changes.

that would be really awesome. continental ranch is really close to me. i ordered the kit from northridge yesterday. dave @ northridge said it would possibly be here this friday. I am a pharmacist so I work every other weekend. I really appreciate you opening up your garage and tools and helping out. I will send you a PM when the kit arrives and we can schedule a day to do it. I am off every monday all day as well. I will definitely work this around your schedule and send you a PM this week hopefully to work out a day/time.

Thanks again!
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default rubicondevil

Originally Posted by rubicondevil07
so does that mean you are off this weekend or the weekend of the 12th. Just make sure that everything is in the box when you get it. Nothing like starting something and then realizing stuff is missing.

I am actually off this sat sun and monday. If the kit arrives friday I will send you a message. Can you pm me and give me your number and I can even call if you aren't god about checking the site al that often. The kit I bought was the tf 2.5 coil lift with wheel spacers and front lower control arms. Is this able to be done by us? How long of a job would you say this is for us?

by the way I am bob.

talk to you soon

Quick Reply: Tucson Crew B.S Say Anything Thread!!