Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Visiting Sedona--Trail Recommendations?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Visiting Sedona--Trail Recommendations?

Hello to everyone in the Four corners.

First, I am jealous that I can't live in that area (yet), to enjoy all the off-road activities (Jeeps and Mountain Bikes) that I like to participate in. Second, Sedona is actually the place that got us started in our Jeep acquisition.

We have visited Sedona, twice, in the past, and my wife and I really enjoy the place for all it's outdoor activities.

We have a stock JKU Sport, 6 speed, 3.21 axle ratio, rear lsd. It's currently rolling on the stock 225/75 16" tires where I measured 9" of ground clearance from the front axle. I've test fit some 32" tires that will be on the Jeep by the time we make it to Sedona, which bumped the clearance up to 10.5".

With that current setup, do you guys have any trail recommendations where it would be fun for both my wife and I to drive and explore the capabilities of the Jeep? I have some off-road driving experience, but in friend's modified vehicles, in which case 37"s, 4" suspension lifts, and full lockers have you looking for obstacles to conquer. Since this is more a fun/family trip, not really looking to disconnect swaybars or be on a trail where it would be recommended to have someone else along just in case I needed to be winched out.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

All the trails are easy enough that you dont need to air down nor disconect. How ever, disconected will provide additional traction. There are several trails up there that are very scenic and just long enough to be fun, but short enough to get bored on. There is Broken Arrow, Diamondback gulch, Soldiers Pass, Indian Ruin trail, google search should help you out as well as some of the Jeep tours. Have fun!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'll research and plan on doing those trails and see what else I can find. Anything else in the general area or around Flagstaff?
Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

Cool Sedona / Flagstaff

The Broken Arrow trail in Sedona is outstanding - take your camera - it is rated one of the best in AZ! I ran it with my stock Sahara and did fine, but we did hit bottom when descending the stair steps.

That got me concerned and I added some skid plates, a lift and 35's. Ran Broken Arrow this past week end and it was great - no hits on the stairs!

Photo is our Jeep at Chicken point.

The Flagstaff has a few scenic runs near the Sunset volcano and the Grand Canyon. If you want to get together for your jeep run here (we live in the Northern AZ area) send me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7799.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	146687  
Old 04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Which trails are the don't miss trails???

Last edited by chipmaker; 04-04-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

very timely....headed to Sedona this weekend with the wife for our anniversary....looks like Broken Arrow is on the "to do list" for the weekend.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the pics.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 PM
JK Freak

just got back from a weekend trip there. Schnebly Hill Road is a trail you should not miss. It is mostly a fire road (I saw a guy towing a 19' trailer up the road), but the scenery is breathtaking. If you want to do something more challenging, Broken Arrow is the best rock crawling trail in Sedona. I couldn't find the trail or the time to run it, but all the concierge staff said that was an awesome trail. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Headed to Sedona over Easter weekend.....
Old 04-11-2011, 08:16 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Never been there, but I use the guides from Funtreks.com by Charles Wells for Colorado. He has one for Arizona too, "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". If you order it from his site, you can get it with the spiral binding which is highly recommended.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cfr
Never been there, but I use the guides from Funtreks.com by Charles Wells for Colorado. He has one for Arizona too, "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". If you order it from his site, you can get it with the spiral binding which is highly recommended.
Have both... they are great..

Quick Reply: Visiting Sedona--Trail Recommendations?