Notices
Four Corners If you live in the Four Corners area (Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Week in the Rockies (comment on my trail choices please?)

Old 06-12-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the love of all things holy, I think I have it!

So, Montezuma Road (CR5) south (more or less) from Keystone; south on Hand Cart to the Hall Valley Road (CR60) intersection; back north on FSR 565 (let's call it "Red Cone Road") to the summit; back down via Webster Pass; head back north toward Keystone via CR5.

Yes?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Under Dawg

So, Montezuma Road (CR5) south (more or less) from Keystone; south on Hand Cart to the Hall Valley Road (CR60) intersection; back north on FSR 565 (let's call it "Red Cone Road") to the summit; back down via Webster Pass; head back north toward Keystone via CR5.

Yes?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

You're the man. I'm buying the beer if we ever cross paths.

Found a good map, puts a visual on the discussion.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

Yes?
Oops Modification: CR 5 through Montezuma to FR 285 (Webster pass), to FR 125 (Hand Cart Gulch) to 60 to Red Cone, then FR 285 again, then CR 5 again.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I think it's sinking in. We'll be on Webster for a bit before hitting Handcart. Then Handcart south to Red Cone. Then back on Webster again, then back 'home'.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Freak

I think it's sinking in. We'll be on Webster for a bit before hitting Handcart. Then Handcart south to Red Cone. Then back on Webster again, then back 'home'.

You'll be on Webster for about 5 miles till you get to hand cart. There is in intersection at the top of Webster with signs that point to Red Cone, Hand Cart, Webster.

On your map, Webster is the road that heads north.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

I marked Webster Pass on this. To get from Montezuma to Hand Cart you take Webster. To get back from Red Cone to Montezuma you take Webster.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I owe you. Seriously, I'm out in Colorado at least 2x a year, I gotta look you up.

Last question: Radical Hill on the way back to Keystone? As in, after Webster, Handcart and Red Cone? We're driving right past the place, correct? And if Radical is a go on the way back to town, what's the total time we're going to be on the trail with all this? Is this an attainable goal?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

I owe you. Seriously, I'm out in Colorado at least 2x a year, I gotta look you up.

Last question: Radical Hill on the way back to Keystone? As in, after Webster, Handcart and Red Cone? We're driving right past the place, correct? And if Radical is a go on the way back to town, what's the total time we're going to be on the trail with all this? Is this an attainable goal?
Correct. So head north on red cone, head north on webster. After about 1 to 1.5 miles the radical hill trail goes off to the left (west). You follow that trail until the next intersection which is Deer Creek Trail. Head north on Deer Creek (FR 5 that turns into CR5) back to Montezuma. Should be able to do it all in a long day. I count about 4-5 trail hours in total from Montezuma to do Webster, Hand Cart, Red Cone, Webster till Radical Hill, Radical Hill, Deer Creek.

Quick Reply: Week in the Rockies (comment on my trail choices please?)