Notices
Fun in the Sun General discussion forum regarding all the fun things we Jeepers do with our Jeep JK Wranglers including camping, fishing, hunting, and geocaching.

First Cross Country Trip (South Florida to the Grand Canyon)

Old 04-08-2011, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Cross Country Trip (South Florida to the Grand Canyon)

I've decided to take my 2 month old JK on a cross counry trip from South Florida to the Grand Canyon, then up to Yellowstone before returning back South. I have two weeks to kill. Has anyone done this trip in a JK? Any recommendations?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this in december from orlando. the canyon is breathtaking. if you go to the south rim, stop @ the warbird museum on the road in (on your left) and dont speed thru TEXAS, theres a cop every mile.lol i also went to zion, it is worth the stop. i stoped @ san antonio the first day and did the river walk and the ALAMO. rout 66 is cool to. i recomend the road kill cafe. tomb stone is fun to. be prepared for several border patrol checks. have fun!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Warpipe, sounds like you took I-10 west then turned north to the grand canyon. I'm driving I-10 to I-49, I-20 (through Dallas/Fort Worth), then I-40 out of Amarillo to Flagstaff. If you head west again, stop in Galveston and tour the Lone Star Flight Museum. I was there last Father's Day and flew in a WWII B-17G (my Dad's restored 8th Air Force "Thunderbird"). I sat in the same seat/position my father did back in 1943. What a blast.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just returned from my cross-country trip. Logged over 7,000 miles. Kept track of the mileage (flatland, hills, and mountain pass travel). I averaged 21.3 mpg for the entire trip. The engine only used 1/2 quart of oil. Jeep worked fine. Only drawback was the driver's side mirror was loose and kept vibrating causing the view to the rear to be blurry and the dump trucks hauling stone for the road construction caused stone damage to the windshield (at least seven different chipped out glass areas and a long eight inch crack). My insurance covered it at no charge to me. They are having the windshield replaced this morning by Safe-Lite. Great trip (even with the altitude sickness encountered over the Big Horn mountain and Beartooth Highway passes).
Old 06-24-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

The forest ranger at Yellowstone suggested aspirin at least three times a day for a few days to head off the altitude (mountain) sickness. Drinking lots of water will help also because of excessive dehydration at altitude. There are over the counter drugs for this malady but I wasn't aware of them before the trip. It was cool in the park (48 to 68 degrees) but dropped to 21 degrees as we passed over the Big Horn mountain on route 14A towards the Little Big Horn Battlefield and national Cemetery. We were locked in a total white out with blizzard like conditions. I was in second gear and 4 HI all the way to the top and back down the other side. Snow was blowing over the narrow road approximately 2 feet deep in drifted sections. Definitely white knuckle moments.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know about the aspirin, seems like that may thin the blood a little too much. Having grown up in Colorado I can attest to the drinking fluids. You may not feel it, but you are losing water quickly, especially compared to Florida. If you get headaches or dizziness you're behind the hydration curve. Drink every 20 minutes. Driving should acclimate you more comfortably than flying.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

banana's help too
Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

The rule of thumb here for altitude is 1 liter for ever 1k ft, and 1 liter for every hour in hot temp's (like if your hiking or you got the top off). Glad you made the trip ok, sounds like you had fun.

Quick Reply: First Cross Country Trip (South Florida to the Grand Canyon)