JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Fun in the Sun (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/fun-sun-98/)
-   -   What do you sleep on in Jeep? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/fun-sun-98/what-do-you-sleep-jeep-234188/)

cyclone.1983 05-30-2012 07:49 AM

What do you sleep on in Jeep?

So over the past few years I have gone through prob about 5 air mattresses while sleeping in my jeep. They were the cheaper colemans that cost prob 30 bucks.

This year, I was going to try and find an alternative. What do you guys sleep on. My g/f has to be comfortable, so softness is key.

I wondered if maybe a better mattress would not puncture as easily? Or what are some alternatives?

Wendy.Jeepchick 05-30-2012 08:03 AM

I'm sorry, but HOW IN THE WORLD do you sleep in your Jeep?!?

cyclone.1983 05-30-2012 08:06 AM

haha ive slept in every jeep ive had (2 wranglers and a liberty)

Just fill up the air mattress and it contours to the back of the jeep *(seat folded down)

Climb in and count sheep. I almost always have a girl in there with me, I think there is plenty of room. Plus it saves setup and tear down of tents, protects you from weather and from animals intent on either eating you or making you itchy.

Snowbrder086 05-30-2012 08:12 AM

...I hope you have a 4 door haha

cyclone.1983 05-30-2012 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Snowbrder086 (Post 3042333)
...I hope you have a 4 door haha

haha ya I do, I do know people on exped forums that sleep in 2 doors however.

I know there is hundreds of people on here that sleep in there jeep while camping.

Erok 05-30-2012 08:24 AM

Since I switched to a self-inflatable sleeping pad (not an air mattress), I will never go back to air mattresses. These pads hold their air all night, and are very comfortable. They self-inflate enough when you unroll them, that you could probably sleep on them as-is, but I spend another 15 seconds to puff them up nice and firm.

I got the REI 3.5" sleeping pad- you can go thinner, but my 38-year-old spine thanks me for this. I can set this right on a rock (I actually slept outdoors on concrete with this pad and woke up refreshed).

REI Camp Bed 3.5 Self-Inflating Pad

They also sell a cheap kit that straps one pad to a second pad, making a dual sleeper if you have a companion. Just keeps the pads from sliding apart. My girl and I have identical pads and sleeping bags which zip together so it's easy to go solo or make a big bed for the two of us.

cyclone.1983 05-30-2012 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jahbone (Post 3042351)
Since I switched to a self-inflatable sleeping pad (not an air mattress), I will never go back to air mattresses. These pads hold their air all night, and are very comfortable. They self-inflate enough when you unroll them, that you could probably sleep on them as-is, but I spend another 15 seconds to puff them up nice and firm.

I got the REI 3.5" sleeping pad- you can go thinner, but my 38-year-old spine thanks me for this. I can set this right on a rock (I actually slept outdoors on concrete with this pad and woke up refreshed).

They also sell a cheap kit that straps one pad to a second pad, making a dual sleeper if you have a companion. Just keeps the pads from sliding apart. My girl and I have identical pads and sleeping bags which zip together so it's easy to go solo or make a big bed for the two of us.

Those seem nice, I read the reviews that all said they were great, however $250 for 2 pads is a little more than I would want to spend.

Croce 05-30-2012 10:14 AM

I just went camping and was able to fit a single size matress in the back. Never slept so comfortably while camping
you do need to move the front seats up all the way for it to fit nicely though

Rgk401 05-30-2012 04:34 PM

If used a futon mattress for my 2 door. I just put the back seats up and throw it back there.. I do this for when I'm fishing at night in the hunting club. Works for me!!

StuFarmer 05-30-2012 04:55 PM

I just recline my seat....My dog Otis gets the back to himself.

Redman333 05-30-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Croce
I just went camping and was able to fit a single size matress in the back. Never slept so comfortably while camping
you do need to move the front seats up all the way for it to fit nicely though

That's a good idea

Erok 06-04-2012 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983 (Post 3042530)
Those seem nice, I read the reviews that all said they were great, however $250 for 2 pads is a little more than I would want to spend.

I can understand that. But at some point I realized I kept spending money on air mattresses again and again. My spine was worth spending a little more this time!

talcaraz 06-12-2012 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by jahbone (Post 3042351)

These look great! I am definately going to check these out! I agree...a little extra money to save my back is well worth it!! :camping::ya:

airborned 06-12-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983 (Post 3042321)
haha ive slept in every jeep ive had (2 wranglers and a liberty)

Just fill up the air mattress and it contours to the back of the jeep *(seat folded down)

Climb in and count sheep. I almost always have a girl in there with me, I think there is plenty of room. Plus it saves setup and tear down of tents, protects you from weather and from animals intent on either eating you or making you itchy.

+1 i do that also. me and the wife both slept comfey while we had a fan on the center console:thumbsup:

manuelgg09 06-27-2012 09:15 AM

Wait! Haha was it a battery fan or dod you just plugged in the 12V? Never had a inflatable mattress in mine. Thanks for the idea!

TURTLECON 06-27-2012 10:43 AM

x2 on the sleeping PAD.

I got one at REI during a sale for like $70 bucks... best thing I ever got for camping.

Erok 06-27-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by BigRedJK (Post 3088307)
x2 on the sleeping PAD.

I got one at REI during a sale for like $70 bucks... best thing I ever got for camping.

I know!! I hate spending money, but those sleeping pads have made camping fun again for me. Like I said, I slept outside a friend's ranch on the concrete patio, because the weather was so good. I woke up feeling better than the day before :)

I've slept on roots, rocks, branches... the pads absorb it all and haven't leaked in the 3 years I've had them.

familytime 07-01-2012 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983 (Post 3042294)
So over the past few years I have gone through prob about 5 air mattresses while sleeping in my jeep. They were the cheaper colemans that cost prob 30 bucks.

This year, I was going to try and find an alternative. What do you guys sleep on. My g/f has to be comfortable, so softness is key.

I wondered if maybe a better mattress would not puncture as easily? Or what are some alternatives?

Get a small trailer with pop up tent

SiliconTi 07-01-2012 12:07 PM

I made a wooden deck with drawers under it (based on this: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...torage-178549/). It is covered in thin carpeting and I just sleep on that - no mattress. If it is cold, I'll lay on a blanket for more insulation. For her, I'd go with a Therma-Rest mattress. Self inflating, rugged, light and can be rolled up small to get it out of the way.

jgw1985 08-04-2012 08:33 PM

Usually some kind of padding thrown down, nothing special. Those pads from REI look good, I'll have to look into them.

tippedover 10-23-2012 04:53 PM

hunting

Im in the military and anyone who is or was had experience sleeping on the army issued sleeping pad.. the only time I ever enjoyed this pad was using it on a hunting trip in the back of my jeep!

familytime 10-23-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by cyclone.1983 (Post 3042294)

My wife:brows:

talcaraz 11-05-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by talcaraz

These look great! I am definately going to check these out! I agree...a little extra money to save my back is well worth it!! :camping::ya:

I went ahead and bought one of these, and took it with me on a trip to the Rubicon in July.

It is by far the most comfortable sleep pad I have EVER slept on! I can't express how comfortable this sleep pad is! Its a bit pricey, but allows me to have a really great sleep while tent camping...WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

talcaraz 11-05-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by jahbone

I went ahead and bought one of these, and took it with me on a trip to the Rubicon in July.

It is by far the most comfortable sleep pad I have EVER slept on! I can't express how comfortable this sleep pad is! Its a bit pricey, but allows me to have a really great sleep while tent camping...WORTH EVERY PENNY!!

Edge Hawk 11-05-2012 07:03 PM

I have the self inflating sleeping pad.

Also for sleeping in the JK, get something between your feet and the tailgate, that metal gets cold at night. Also, I would wrap something around the jeep to keep cold air from blowing underneath.

Slaw ninja 11-13-2012 07:59 PM

What do u guys do about the gaping crack in the middle of the back where the hinges to the backseat are positioned?

GoRemote 11-13-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Slaw ninja (Post 3295476)
What do u guys do about the gaping crack in the middle of the back where the hinges to the backseat are positioned?

I stuff a blanket or towels at first. After a couple of days out, it turns into my laundry basket (inside plastic bags)...:cool:

Tonka_yellow 11-13-2012 08:30 PM

I sleep on the girlfriends boobs.

ronjenx 11-13-2012 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Slaw ninja (Post 3295476)

Look here: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...torage-178549/

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...x/IMG_0959.jpg

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/y...rExtension.jpg

Tycho 11-13-2012 10:03 PM

I use two swing seat pads staggered to smooth out the folded seat height difference, right size and comfy.

Saharainbx 11-14-2012 09:40 AM

Lol, nice tonka_yellow.

I use a futon single mattress, comfy as hell

Sgt Mack 11-14-2012 09:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 388589

Tent in the roof-rack. Ft Irwin CA

8052949 11-22-2012 05:30 PM

You guys are nuts sleeping in you Jeeps. I go with a $50 cot with a thermarest next to my jeep. If its cold I rig up a tarp to keep me dry. My back can't handle sleeping in a Jeep or pickup bed anymore.

Dirtymoney 11-09-2013 06:11 AM

several times now I have slept in the rear bench seat of my JK. . I sleep normally on my side with legs bent. Head on the tub fender and feet on the other. I am 5 foot seven inches tall.

For more than a few hours it can be uncomfortable. My shoulder will be sore afterwards.

It would be better if the rear seat leaned back all the way to the tailgate so there would be a little more room to lay down.

Delux2769 11-30-2013 01:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I sleep in my hammock. Hook one end to my windshield middle thingy and the other end to my hi-lift jack on my tire carrier.

Attachment 513624

Attachment 513625

Attachment 513626

JS1122 11-30-2013 02:09 PM

That sleeping pad looks great I'll be buying one

daviditaliano41 01-16-2014 11:28 PM

Take the back seat out and throw like 5 blankets down

dcooper9981 08-15-2017 11:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I work at this online store Xprite USA, they have this sleeping pad that fits perfectly in my JKU. I love it so far, it is foldable and can attach the backseat.
Attachment 674143

Attachment 674144

Xfiles 11-07-2017 10:31 AM

Jeep air Mattress

Someone is making one now. Here's link.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-a-jeep-wrangl

it contours around console. supposedly 6 ft long

Dat 06-07-2021 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Erok (Post 3042351)

have used the rei 3.5 sleeping pad a lot, rolls up tight and takes up little space and is comfortable when unrolled